Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All PC's slow after being moved onto a New Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukhodwil

Technical User
Jan 11, 2007
GB
Hoping someone else will have experienced this problem as well and knows the answer...

We have just changed most of our servers and at the same time, we changed our domain name to what it should have been years ago.
The problem we have is, all PC's that were already existant on the old domain that have been moved onto the new domain now run slow. They are slow on startup after entering login details, running applications is slow, just generally slow.

The weird thing is any new PC's (same spec as the others) that we have added to the network (brand new so know nothing of the old domain) work totally fine, fast as expected.

I'm guessing it is a registry conflict or something with details of the old and new domain?

I've tried various cleanup on the PC's ie deleted all old profiles that were for users of the old domain.

Help?

I would take one of the old ones (make sure you have the drivers for the NIC available),
remove all the settings for the NIC and then "reinstall" the driver and reinput the TCP/IP properties.

Do the old machines have hosts and lmhosts files in them?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!

What process did you follow for migrating your machines and users to the new domain?

Just checked and the PC's only have the windows standard lmhosts and hosts files. They haven't been editied in anyway.

When we migrated the pc's we dropped them from being on a domain back into a workgroup, cleared old profiles off the machines, restarted and then joined them to the new domain.

An interesting point I have noted is that when I run Task Manager and view processes tab, when displaying "page faults" we got some pcs with 36,690,000+ faults and some which that have gone over the 100,000,000 all against the Image Name svchost.exe
This could be related...or it may not....currently looking it up....

Did anything else change other than the domain they belong to? Are they on a new IP subnet now than before? What about the infrastructure itself - any routers other changes to the environment other than moving things to a new domain? Are any pieces of your old domain still running?

STFAPRC had a good suggestion, although if it were me, I would start by just creating a new connection under your Network settings first, then try re-installing the NIC drivers if that didn't help.

Good luck,

Nothing changed other than the infrasture server which is new ie it does domain controller, DHCP, DNS. File servers and Print servers are still the same.
The servers that were moved from the old domain to the new domain haven't experienced the problems that the windows XP machines have....

The IP subnet is still the same for everything that was on the old domain...however during testing of the new server, the new server was given a different subnet. The subnets were and are still linked via configuration on our Cisco routers and switches, these seem to work fine as new pc's are ok with communication to both sides.

STFAPRC suggestion of uninstalling the network card etc.....is this still applicable if the pc/laptop is slow even when not connected to the network? (and still gets the page faults in 36million region?)

Thanks for all suggestions so far

My suggestion still applies even if not on the network. Sometimes a driver just gets in the darn way, which is why i suggested removing it and not just adding another one or trying to update the driver.
Try the "Remove and Reinstall".

Have you flushed the DNS at all? Bearing in mind that whilst the DNS servers have remained the same the information within them hasn't. You may find that flushing the DNS resolver cache on the local machines as well as on the server could resolve this.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I have seen this one other time, but it affected all machines. A brand new server we had just installed had dual nics. Whenever we started it up, people logging on had a hard time authenticating. Those already on, kept on working off the servers that were still up and running. Turns out the new server had on of the two dual nics going bad, sending out bad packets, honking up the network. Point is, the new computers have hardware and software which may allow them to deal with things that may be coming out of the servers that the older machines can't handle. I know it's a long shot, but I've seen stranger things. So, check the servers, not the machines, especially the nics.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back