Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all NETWORK my connections show live BUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirleyowl

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
GB
I am so frustrated as this has been happening since tues 06.07.04[it is now Thurs 15.07.04] I run a Linksys router and a Zoom X3 modem I had a replacement modem since Saturday as I was unable to reset it.to connect my Freeserve Broadband and our PC e-machines 80gb 2.3 mHZ with my Apple iMax 80 Gb 800Mhz.
I also inadvertently uninstalled the TCP/IP this morning. Don't ask.[blush]Cant find out how to re-install this..ANYONE? However the problem was before this.

my Network Bridge system is
1394 Net Adapter to my LAN3 at 400Mbps

Mac Bridge Miniport,
which I had problems with last year so I had uninstalled it. on advice from Microsoft KB but I put it back today as I thought it might help. It didn't! probably not the best ideas I have had??

Realtek RTL8139 family PCI F.... 100 mbps [It goes on but I cannot read anymore as it is outside the box].

I have to come round to my daughters house to view any of this so there will be long gaps between postings.

If anyone has any other number I can ring. I tried Zoom, Wanadoo and PC world .. Oh yes I just got the PC back yesterday from an annual healthcheck they didnt report any worms or trojans. No virus either. so I dont know what knocked this system up the shoot like this.

I have been able to ping 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.10, successfully. using command option.
I am now at a loss to what to do.
I have a feeling that there is a set of lights not showing on the router as it only has 2 sets lit plus the power light.
The Link and LAN are showing live on the Modem, and there are 3 icons showing live on the PC.
I have tried just using the Modem to the PC direct, but doesnt make any difference.
Also done the same with the apple tho I have my phone line going up to the room with the PC and then an ethernet cable back to the Apple.which is downstairs. I plugged it directly into the filter on my phone line.

I am sure someone of you wonderful people will be able to help.
Please bear with me if I have missed some information.

TIA
[flowerface]

PC 2.3Mhz 80 gb HDD 512 RAM :

iMac OSX 10.2.8 17 Flat panel 80gb,800mhz,256 Ram, Superdrive.

What is the model of the Linksys router? Is the Internet connection DSL or cable? Have you upgraded the firmware on the router? Has it ever worked before? What OS are you running on the PC?

I knew I'd miss something out. Sorry.
Linksys BEFR41
DSL been running nearly a year without any problems at all.
Not to my knowledge.{firmware) I looked at doing this once I realised I had a problem as had no knowledge of it before but Linksys support KB mentioned it and Microsoft Help troubleshoot mentioned it. But until I can get online properly I cant even do that. unless you know a secret method :)
Windows XP Home

Have you reset the router settings? Go into the configuration window and see if the WAN status is connected.

Why are you pinging an IP address of 10.x.x.x? I think Linksys routers assign an IP address of 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Are you getting assigned this IP address or are you using static addressing?

Are you able to ping the router at 192.168.1.1? Most likely no if your IP address is not within the 192.168.1.x range.

Yes I reset and rebooted the router settings,
The subnet mask is the one I recognise as being on my system Not sure what subnet mask is or does tho!. I have never been able to get a reply from that particular address.
the 10.0.0.X connects me back to my zoom web console I believe cos at one point I couldnt reach it at all.from the PC but I could from the apple so I presume it was just an internal address.
I must let you know that until I set this system up last eyar I was a novice about command options and pinging etc. I now vaguely know about the IP address, and yes you are correct it is 192.168 etc. Sorry not at my PC so cant tell other exact numbers I thought I had written them down to bring out with me.
I do know that I am unable to get some addresses during Status
but ipcopfig/all did leave me with what looked like hexadecimal strings type addresses.
When I tried to ping those nothing worked

Also forgot to say I disabled my firewall to prevent that being a problem while I work on this. BUT I noticed that once last week it seemed to be already disabled. Which puzzled me.

Try this.

Reset the router again and configure your router to connect to the DSL modem. Set your computers to obtain an IP address automatically.

Type ipconfig at the command prompt for each computer and note the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

The settings should be similiar to the following:
IP address ..... 192.168.1.x
Subnet Mask .... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.. 192.168.1.1

HI, and thanks I will have to try this on my return home later this evening. [grandchildren need me]
I am hoping I can print this out so I can take it with me.
Will let you know how I got on!
[flowerface]

HI I eventually got back here.
I managed after using the Windows network setup wizard to get 2 pages down. then kaput again. I have tried going just through the modem. I have tried manually configuring the Static IP address.. tho I am not sure it is correct having looked above I may have one digit wrong so will try that again.
It is over 10 days now with no joy on this. The new modem is behaving itself as far as I can tell in that the link light becomes steady after a reboot.
I do not know how to reset the Router, at least on the modem there is a reset switch accessible with a paperclipend.
I do appreciate your input.
[flowerface]

Sorry, were you able to get an Internet connection going directly through the modem?

"It's about the journey and not the destination" - The quote of those who never make it

NO I can send packets but not receive anything so BT are now going to test the line to make sure there isnt a fault. Sorry for any delays as I have to get to my daughters house to check email etc.
thanks for keeping up to date.
Kindest thoughts [flowerface]

If you can't connect to the Internet directly through the modem it's not a problem with the router. I'm pretty sure the router issue will fix itselft once the Internet connection issue is resolved.

"It's about the journey and not the destination" - The quote of those who never make it

I had a problem similar to this on a DSL circuit. Number one, make sure the router is configured properly for the particular ISP you are using. I probably shouldn't tell this on myself but I had a router with SBC Yahoo configged for "Dynamic Address" when it should have been configged for PPPoE and all the username/password stuff from the ISP. It would work... but was very unstable. Also the VPN tunnel I was trying to set up simply would NOT connect. Turns out the router was being given a NETWORK address instead of a HOST address. Once I got all of that worked out w/ SBC it was perfect.

HI everyone. Just to let you know that after I contacted Wanadoo again [ they were supposed to call me back HUH!!]
BT had carried out a WHOOSH test, I think that is what Stuart called it.
It was found that my user name and password were not being accepted. Well as far as I knew that possibility had already been checked.
However Dear kind Stuart at Wanadoo went through it very carefully with me and it was found that the domain name was left off. Now how this possibly got changed I do not know. Maybe after the initial problems I re-entered it incorrectly due to not knowing that I needed @fs at the end of my user name. So all is working again. Goodness knows what caused the initial problem though. Thanks to all who tried to help here. and maybe this needs to get into the system somewhere so that people know to check very carefully the exact details for setting up a broadband connection. Especially ifnot using the free modems that get supplied as the help line techies are not trained to advise on any other modems. so they like to take our money but not give proper help.
Which is where TEK-TIPS comes in, but that can only be a help if all the details are known too.
Kind thoughts to all on these fora!
[flowerface]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back