Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All my CD burning/ripping programs cannot read the CD-RW Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zechs

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
CA
For some reason none of the programs i've downloaded (and i've downloaded lots) cannot read my CD burner. I get errors like "error opening CD Device" or "CD is not responding." I know my CD burner is properly connected because I can still read files. When I ran Nero it said something about "Win-ASPI file missing".

Can anyone help me?

Perhaps a generic driver was loaded accidently?

I would boot into safe mode, remove the CDROM, then reboot into Normal Mode. You won't need the actual driver since it's built into the firmware and will be loaded automatically. Very strange indeed...

If the problem persists, let us know what OS you're running.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I tried what u suggested. Now my computer at leasts aknowledges the name of the CD burner BUT none of the programs work. The programs can't even read my virutal drive that I created through Nero. I've been thinking when my CD devices stopped being read by programs. It was the same time I installed this Applet for Winamp that writes stuff to file in MP3 format. i didn't like so i tried to remove it. I guess i just deleted it and might have deleted some important windows files. Is there another procedure to restore orignal settings maybe?

Oh yeah, I'm running Windows 98

OK, that's a start. Now that your CD burner is properly loaded, we need to fix the apps that are having problems. If you did accidently delete files that were needed by any of these apps, then reinstalling them should replace the files. I recommend uninstalling them "first", reboot, then reinstall them. As a matter of fact, just try your main burning app (Nero) first to see if you can get it to work.

The "Win-ASPI file missing" message is telling you that it can't find or load wnaspi32.dll. Do a search and see if it exists in the Nero or Windows directory. It should be replaced when you reinstall Nero.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

See my reply to your other thread
thread602-420022 All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Sounds like a very similar problem I was having. The suggested fixes should do the trick.
FYI, not sure what program you are using for your burner but.....I just switched from Roxio's CD Now to Iomega's "Burn and Go-Gold". This my system (XP) seemed to like this much better and everything is recognized.
Very affordable and user friendly!
My $0.02. BC

i had this problem some time ago.i did a search in Google for ASPI.EXE downloaded the file,clicked on it and problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back