Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All I see is wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttabb

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I downloaded and installed a trial version of NTI's Backup NOW 3.0. My first attempted full backup hung the system during the file compare. I was backing up my C: drive with 14 GB of files (it is a 60 GB drive)to new 80 GB freshly formatted internal hard drive. During the backup Windows kept warning me that the space on my target drive was low. When I restart WinXP Pro (administrative rights) it starts very slow. After I click on my ID to login the only thing that comes up is my wallpaper. No task bar, no sys tray, no icons, nothing but wallpaper. I can bring up the task manager with ctrl-alt-del. I did a hardware system check and everything checked fine. If I try logging in under a different ID I get the same thing.

Not sure if this will help you much, but you can try running explorer from Task Manager.
With Task Manager open, select New Task, then type
explorer.exe
Let us know if this helps. MCSE, A+

Boot in safe mode, remove the app. and reboot normal.
If ok, you can try again. [sub]If the answer is here, Mark it, others can benefit from it too. If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
Marc
[/sub]

What sort of file system to you have? How did you format and set up your new drive?

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

Description of the Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q314463
Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

Some general things to try if the above don't help you.

Try entering Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

See if System Restore (via Safe Mode) will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I am guessing that the backup didn't go to your new freshly formatted hard drive, and instead went to your windows or other drive.

What is the amount of free space on your windows drive? If it is low you can expect XP to be very cranky.

If this is the case, or to find out, boot off your XP cd and open a recovery console. You can use command shell commands from there to troubleshoot. IE DIR or del

I have tried to run explorer.exe from the task manager but nothing happens. I'v also tried starting in safe mode. I get black wallpaper and nothing else. Tried running explorer.exe from the TM in safe mode and nothing runs. Tried going back to last known good configuration that worked, too (no joy). I configured and formatted the new drive form the Windows tools. It was formatted NTFS. I know I pointed to it for the backup destination. I'm going to try your suggestion and linney's tomorrow. (Got to take my wife out for her birthday tonight.) Haven't heard from NTI's tech support yet. Don't think I'll be buying their product when I get this fixed. ;-) I'll update with my results. Thanks to all.

I finally ended up calling Dell tech support. They had me install a new copy of XP Pro which created a dual boot system (boot the bad XP or boot the good XP). I didn't like that much so I formatted and started from scratch. Not as bad as it could have been since I had all my data on two other harddrives. Of course, I had to reinstall my applications and I'm still doing housekeeping on my new C: drive to eliminate the files duplicated on other drives. I learned my lesson and ran right out to buy a fresh copy of Norton Ghost so next time I'll have a quick remedy. Sure am glad I went to a his and hers setup recently and didn't mess up anything on my wife's system! P-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back