Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All, I can ping a server that i'

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulu1ghz

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
GB
All,

I can ping a server that i'm trying to connect to fine and it responds without a problem. However when I do a tracert on it, I get a failure:-

1 Transmit Error : Code 65

Any suggestions?

Thanks

zulu1ghz,

Is Internet Connection Sharing enabled on this computer?
Is ZoneAlarm installed on this computer?

[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Funny you should mention ZA! I've just sorted the problem about 30 mins before your post came through. I have got ZA installed on the machine but I disabled it a couple of weeks ago.

When I reenabled it and checked TraceRT was one of the apps that was denied access, gave it access and everything was Ok.

What I don't understand is how ZA was still acting as a firewall even when it was disabled?

Thanks anyway, you would have pointed me in the right direction, it's appreciated.

Zulu

Zulu,

ZA is notorious for not letting go even if it is disabled or uninstalled.

Glad you got it sorted out.
[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

he does not list a email address in his profile or his signature, so you can't email him. (neither do you, so he can't email you either) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks.

I had the same problem as zulu1ghz (tracert error code 65), and this thread helped me realize that a previous installation of ZA was the source of the problem (after weeks of headaches). I wanted to know what zulu1ghz did to fix the problem.

I just opened ZA, and set all the secuirty configurations to the lowest levels and everything seems to work now.

I thought about uninstalling ZA entirely, but I guess that it is a good thing to have around (so long as it does not screw up my PC/network - as it did for the last several weeks). I may need ZA someday if I ever need to connect my cable modem to my PC without my firewall router in-between.

Alinaa
muchnika-at-pilot-dot-msu-dot-edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back