Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Downloads Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
GB
I have a completely new installation of Windows XP SP1 and everything that I download is corrupt. I have had this problem once before on another XP machine and managed to resolve it but unfortunately I can't remember how. There seem to be quite a few people with the same problem as me, but no answers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check your MTU value. The easiest way to do this I think is to use the Tweak too on the broadbandreports site. In addition there will be a link to the "DrTCP" tool that makes changing your MTU value quite simple:

Do you receive any consistent error messages? Also, have you done an up to date virus scan to be safe?

Matt J.

i had the same problem using winace. everything worked up to a certain point then all programs that i downoaded had bad crc. i uninstalled winace and reinstalled it and it fixed the prob. any programs downloaded previously extracted.

hardrock49 makes a good point. Often disabling (or enabling) the native XP zip facility makes a difference.

I use WinRar for everything and disable the XP native zip facility:

Start, Run, regsvr32 /u %windir\system32\zipfldr.dll

WinRar and other Third-Party tools offer a repair tool for bad CRCs, and can sometimes fix the problem.

One final note that I believe was covered in linney's link above: any of the download enhancers can cause this, whether GetRight or Download Accelerator or whatever. Try the download again with these things disabled. My personal choice is to not use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back