Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

all computers are on a wireless 54g connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
Newbie to this DNS stuff.
We loose conenction every 2-3 days and have to click the Icon in system tray to restore it.
this also happens a few times a day.
Strength is usually LOW when you look at it in system tray.
Is there something we can set so this won't happen or is wireless just prone to dropping.
someone said the DNS is the problem it looses somothing every 3 days or something.

Any ides or suggestions welcome
TIA

DougP, MCP, A+

You might want to check the DHCP settings. It sounds like the clients are not renewing the IP address properly. If you have less then 100 clients you can set it to unlimited.

Don't set it to unlimited. It limits you when you want to change network settings.

It does sound like DHCP is not the core problem - core problem is your poor network connectivity. Can you get another Access point?

CallwaveEmp,
Yes probably. Do we need to run a wire somewhere and connect the other AP on the other side of the company?

The Router we have is setting on top of something, should it mounted up higher or on the wall? Also the router is on the second floor and 80% of computers are on 1st floor.

Personally I don't like wireless for a company running heavy apps like MS Access. Is wired worth the trouble of running wires? I know it will be faster 100meg.
That all I have used in the past this is the first company I worked for that had wireless except for laptops
And there are 2 connections one is 54g and the other is 11g do they interfere with each other?

Any suggestions welcome

DougP, MCP, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back