Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Audio/ Video playing too fast!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

righteous74

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
BS
I'm on a Gateway Notebook, 1.2 GHz Intel Celeron R processor. I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro, I reinstalled all the drivers and ran the Windows updates. I checked the System Devices and there are no exclamation marks to say that anything might be malfunctioning, but no matter what the source (live streaming music from the internet, CD's, mp3's in my library) they are all playing just fast enough to give them an Alvin and the Chipmunks sound.

This isn't the only problem I'm having, no Norton program will work on my computer anymore, even when I completely uninstall and delete every file and try to reinstall again, it won't complete the install, amongst other things. But the fast sound thing is just killing me!! I can't figure it out, any suggestions?

Since norton is not running are you running any antivirus? Also put your system disc in, close any windows it loads, go to command prompt and type sfc/scannow . If you get a problem saying incorrect service pack then you should make you a disc with sp2 as I have a link below for doing this in the future. Also run this online virus/spyware scanner see what you find. Ill be honest this is the first time ive heard of a computer doing that.

Housecall

Slipstreaming, (making a disc with sp2)

I ran a few virus scans, thru trendmicro and a full system pre-scan while attempting to load norton. I also have zone alarm firewall and ad-aware se plus and I've run spyware scans too. The low-level threats that were found I cleaned off but that didn't help.

I have downloaded sp2 for XP pro (should have mentioned that) too. I didn't want to, because it messed up my wireless connection before, but I thought it might help. No such luck. This is the freakiest problem, I'm hoping I won't have to wipe my drive and start over, I have a backup hard drive to save everything to, it's just such a hassle and I have some programs I know I'll lose in the process.

I have this same problem on one of my desktops when playing .avi files. The same files do not do this on 3 other machines, so it's the software load on that PC that is corrupted. I haven't solved it yet.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Make you a sp2 disc with the link i gave you then run system file checker and see if it fixes any corrupted files.

With norton acting the way it is, its almost a sure sign a virus\trojan\worm has been or is at work. They may have been deleted but their handiwork still in effect.
After doing what electronicsfreak suggests, and if you still have problems then my guess would be you need to edit your registry. I cant advise a lot on that as i do manual registry uninstalls and deletions when i uninstall anything and i dont trust the other registry editors, but other people use them. Again, though, my guess is your registry has been edited to in such a way that you are having this experience.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Righteous74;

I had a similar problem on my wife's DELL GX240... All of a sudden the audio ran at, like you said, Alvin and The Chipmunks speed. (Boy, are we showing our age, or what?)

Everybody insisted they did nothing, absolutely NOTHING that could have caused this. Sure. What I found was that one of our kids had downloaded a renegade media player. I can't recall what it was, but it was from one of those sites that if you want to download and listen to their media files you were required to download and install their player.

Anyway, the fix was to remove ALL of the installed media players (MS Media Player as well) and uninstall the audio drivers.

Reinstall the correct drivers and a fresh copy of Media Player 10, along with Nero and QuickTime. Viola! No more Alvin!

So, what it boils down to is the drivers are not enough... The Media Players may need to be re-installed as well!

Mike, The IT Guy.

[morning]

Life is too short to drink warm beer....

THANK YOU PRYDONIAN!!! Your tip was the one that finally worked!
I had done everything else, except the slipstreaming disc (which I made anyway, just for future use, thanks for the link electronicsfreak) but I hadn't uninstalled all the audio devices and drivers and reinstalled. I don't know which one was the problem, honestly, since I had just recently upgraded to XP pro and had only had the chance to reinstall Windows Media Player, Musicmatch, Winamp and quicktime (all of which I have used for years) And I'm the only user. Oh well, live and learn!
But no more Alvin and the Chipmunks!!! We are old, huh...
Thanks again, Prydonian :)

Are you saying that you uninstalled Windows Media Player, Musicmatch, Winamp and quicktime and reinstalled them and that solved your problem?
Sorry, im just not quite clear on the fix and its good to know.

And, if so, then you should give Prydonian a star!

Thanks for the kind words, garebo. I've got to say that I've gotten a lot of good tips from you and the others over the past few years and I'm just glad to give back.

As far as the issue at hand goes, my understanding is that what my kids downloaded changed/corrupted a bunch of codecs. Rather than try to find out what was damaged, it was more expedient to reload the players and drivers. Especially since it wasn't my machine!

Mike, The IT Guy

[morning]

Life is too short to drink warm beer....

And thank you as well! I dont know any forum that comes close to this one and i am a member at quite a few.
It all boils down to sharing knowledge and not being rude. To me, these are the 2 things that make this place as good as it is. You get the odd rude one and the mods usually take care of it.
As much as i am on here a lot, i bet that over the years i have learned more than i have given.
I'm gonna do the star in case righteous74 doesnt get back here. You deserve it. It's not a big deal but stars should be given where deserved. It usually works out in the end, though, if you are on here a lot. I have received a few stars i didnt really earn, but then a few times i have earned a star and didnt get one. Its not important but its a small thank-you is all.

Hi Garebo,
Thanx for the reminder and Prydonian does deserve his props and a star and I gave them (thanks again!). Electronicsfreak too since that slipstreaming disc is going to come in handy.

I just wanted to note, that I didn't just uninstall the players (Winamp, Musicmatch, Windows Media Player etc.) I had to uninstall the audio drivers as well (in my case Realtek AC'97 Audio) and reinstall that with the CD that came with my computer.

Prydonian's error came from his kids downloading weird music software and corrupting/ damaging codecs, I can only assume that some codecs got damaged or corrupted when I upgraded. Either way, it's solved. As far as the problem with Norton not functioning, I've decided that since Norton has been nothing but problematic for me for YEARS, I'm going to stick with my current spyware and firwall options and get another virus program.

I am very grateful to all the tek-tips tekkies, as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back