Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aligning multiple section of a line in report writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdocker

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2010
GB
I am trying to include a line of text whose center portion is bold and underlined.
I get different results with an HP printer, a PDF printer and the report Preview.

They look something like this...I am trying to include a line of text whose center portion isbold and underlined.

I believe this is because the fonts they use are not exactly the same size. even through it is the same named font.
The font i am using is Arial.
Is there another font that perhaps would be more consistent over the range of printer drivers, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam,

I can see how pre-printing the fixed text will be a problem, given that this is a distributed application. For the same reason, Crystal Reports will present difficulties. You will either have to distribute CR's run-time files, or have the user install CR itself, which will involve them in a cost. More importantly, the user interface (and especially the appearance of the preview window) will be quite different between CR and VFP. Do you really want to do that for a single report?

On the other hand, I think you said earlier that you were planning to move away from VFP. If so, then you are going to have to switch to a different reporting tool anyway, so that's an argument for biting the bullet now.

Number 3 is being considered; but how do I know the variable data, which may be at the end of a line, will be positioned correctly with all printer drivers?

As far as I can see, there is no variable data in the block of text where the problem arises. It's true you have a box containing the year number to the right of that block of text. But I don't envisage that being part of the image. You would place the image on your report surface, and place a field to its right, with its expression set to the year number. I can't see why that wouldn't work.

Also, it may be easier to learn and use CR.

I would have thought creating an image and placing it in a report would be many times easier learning a sophisticated tool like CR. But you know your learning abilities and aptitudes better than I do, so you must do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I tried with Report behavior set to 90. The same situation existed.

Mike, I would not be doing this for a single report. The FRX file I downloaded is 1 of about 15 pages. The problem arises in several instances. and is much more pronounced at the end of a line.
There are some places where variable data is in the middle of a line, for example, item E on the page I supplied. This is not causing a problen because the entire text of the line is the same font/characteristics.
The problem seem to occur when the same line is divided into sections.

You obviously think I should concentrate on your IMAGE suggestion before thinking about CR. I agree.

Well, when I suggested concentrating on the image instead of CR, I assumed the problem related to a single page of a single report. If it's likely to happen in many reports throughout the application, that's another matter.

Anyhow, I hope you have enough information now about the various options to decide how to proceed. If you do decide to move away from the VFP report designer, keep in mind that Crystal isn't the only option. For example, you might find it easier (and more economical) to use Word Automation, or perhaps to produce the report as HTML.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Thanks Mike,

I have to accept the fact that VFP report Writer is a report writer, not a form producer.
I am going ahead and eliminating some of the underling and bolding that causes problems.

One thing I did figure out , and am sharing it in case it may help someone else.

If it's the beginning of the line that contains the bold or underline, I create a 1 label with the entire line and another label with only the formatted portion. I position them in the exact same spot for underlining. For bolding I move the second label 1 FRU to the right. The appearance is not ideal, but it does alleviate some of my issues. Also, the larger the font, the more realistic the results.

I have made a note of all the suggestions, so when I have to bite the bullet, I'll have some info to work with.

Thanks,
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back