Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alias question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmd1968

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2005
US
I have an environment that I host several domains and thus several email users. Can I not have a user in the default domain and another user in a different domain with the same user id?

Example:
mike@defaultdomain.com
mike@hosteddomain.com that is aliased to mike1@defaultdomain.com

I have the hosted domain set up in the Local Domains, Accepted Domains (rcpthosts) and it is virtually mapped as such:
Mail for Prepend Prefix
Hosteddomain.com hosteddomain

The alias is as such:
.qmail-hosteddomain-mike
&mike1@defaultdomain.com

I can send mail to mike1@defaultdomain.com directly but if I send it to mike@hosteddomain.com it goes to the mike@defaultdomain.com not the mike1@defaultdomain.com.

Any help… as always…. Is very much appreciated.

Oooooo, qmail is tricky on this one... it sounds like you're using qmail's native virtual domains support rather than something like vpopmail.

IIRC, from LWQ, you cannot use the same username twice in qmail's native virtual hosting.... BUT, I'm really shaky on that subject since it's been years since I really studied that issue.

Are you having specific problems?

Generally it's advised to use vpopmail for virtual domains, if you're up to the task.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

How tricky is it to set up vpopmail in a server already running? I know that is really generic, but I guess the question would include:
How much down time?
Do I have to redo everyone password?
How would squirrel mail be affected?

I took over an ISP with about 7000 email address of which about 100 or in other than the default domain.

I have a somewhat limited knowlege of qmail. Is there a webpage you would recomend for the vpopmail?

Thanks for your help.

My suggestion would be to build another qmail server with vpopmail for the "other domains".... using this guide:

That way you can still host the local domain easily and accomodate virtual domain hosting growth on another box...

Okay.. I have set up a second email server with vpopam... everything is running really welll. But....

When I send a user on then new system an email I get a bounce back: "user is over quota". I have set this users quota to 100000000 bytes. I don't have a quota on the Linux server. the domain's quota is much larger.

Where else would this be set?

Thanks.... hopefully for the last time!

Are you certain that you're sending to the correct box? Checked your MX records, etc?

What does the "vuserinfo" command tell you about the user?

I found something that said to remove the maildirsize folder but that was ineffective. Here is the information you asked about:

vuserinfo chuck@newdomain.com

name: chuck
passwd: $1$MmHRuRPa$1BNGvdNTs1y3ZPOh1tLFF.
clear passwd: xxxxxxxxxxxx
comment/gecos: Chuck+new+domain
uid: 1
gid: 0
flags: 0
gecos: Chuck+New+Domain
limits: No user limits set.
dir: /home/vpopmail/domains/newdomain.com/chuck
quota: 25000000000
usage: 100%
last auth: Mon Aug 8 08:48:04 2005
last auth ip: 198.68.232.5

I edited the actual domain and replaced it with "New Domain."

Thanks

Uh, this user's quota is 100% used at 2.5GB??

Try setting quota to unlimited or to something like 20MB.

See if you can get vuserinfo to sort itself out.

I found a post that worked for this problem but I don't really know why.

What I did was run the following:

./vsetuserquota user@domain.com 2500000000

It reset the usage and everything is running well.

THANK YOU for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Timm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back