Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALEX integration with WinFIOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBLuk

Vendor
Sep 10, 2002
GB
I have been unable to get ALEX to properly integrate with WinFIOL 6 (or 5 or 4) in the same way as Dynatext used to.

I used to be able to highlight a command in WinFIOL, hit CTRL+F1, and Dynatext would automatically search to that command, it was quite cool.

Any idea how to set it up for Alex? I have tried everything.

Have you specified ALEX as your Browser in your properties?

Channel Menu - Properties - Browser

Thanks for your reply mate, but I think that I'm a bit beyond that.

I have it setup exactly the way I would expect it to work.

If I hit Shift+F1 ALEX opens but only displays the library list.

Since I've specified an actual book, I'd expect it to open that book.

If I hit CTRL+F1 I'd expect it to search for the command highlighted, as Dynatext previously done.

Funny that, I just looked at mine and it's the same! It doesn't work.

Yep, which is annoying.

Dynatext worked a treat, but ALEX won't play ball.

Probably, but it'll be a long arduous process.

I don't know anyone who has got it to work successfully.

As Winfiol is more geared towards AXE integration, it's no great surprise.

Thanks for your helpful post.

I asked this question some time ago (about 2 years) whilst working for Ericcson. The feedback from a support dude was that “it doesn’t work… etc”. But they were working on it… and to wait for V4.x of Alex. Well I waited and it still doesn’t work… so don’t expect a fix real soon. What version of ALEX are you using? (I have 4.2)

I'm only using 3.1 actually.

I knew it wasn't something that I was doing wrong, as I have tried every possible config.

It's a major drawback.

Dynatext integration works well.

I keep getting told by Ericsson that it's because I have multiple books, but that it absolute rubbish.

Hi,
I was wondering if Ericsson has done anything to address this integration problem in the past few months. Does anyone have an update on this situation.
I've spent some time trying to get this working, without success. The WinFiol documentation is ambiguous about integrating ALEX.

Thanks

It does not work with ALEX as local PC intallation .
Think it's a IE issue .
I have only got it to work with alex on a server .
And browsing the alex server from local IE .

Regards Soaplover

soaplover
How did you configure it to work via a server?
I presume the webserver has to be IIS with CGI running.

Thanks.

i have not personally installed the server version .
But browsed the alex server on Ericsson's extranet for
partners (Infochannel -Service Support Plaza - Knowledgebase - BC11 -Documentation )
And if i set up the winfiol channel with alex remote and the url it worked Tested this about one or two years ago . Not sure witch version alex was at then .

//Soaplover

A friend of mine said: define in User preferences -> Cash -> "Temporary file area root" the path without blanks, e.g. "C:\TEMP".

I done it, restart the program and it works!

I use WinFIOL 5.1 and data bases for AXE-10.

Well I get further than before, but I now get an error that my broswer didn't create the frames properly!

I always get the message about frames when loading ALEX from WinFiol. Just ignore it, it works ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back