Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alert users to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxoh

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
SE
Hi folks..

How can i display a message to users that they have to restart the comuters in tex 10min after a sequritypatch have deployed, and they can chose to cancel the restart but after 2nd time this massage shows and it restart the computer anyway?

well, I dont know about 10 mins but i use shutdown.exe with

/L /R /T:60 "Need to reboot to finalize software installation" /C /Y

which will display a message and a timer showing (in this case) that the machine will reboot in 60 seconds (/T:60) but you can extend that for a longer period of time.

thanks for reply. but what do u mean with shutdown.exe. In the patchenufile i add this switches u wrote?

there should i place the shutdown.exe?

ah so your talking about sms sus fp, well you would have to actually modify the package to include it....which would make its use kinda impractical. this was more for distribution via sms installer package

Although I'm sure you could tweak the package sus makes to do this.

The code in an installer package is nothing more than this, just before exit:

item: Execute Program
Pathname=%win%\Shutdown.exe
Command Line=/L /R /T:60 "Need to reboot to finalize software installation" /C /Y
end

no this tex about Windows2000-KB890175-x86-ENU.EXE file.

i have make this exefile to bee deployed and installed on clients, but i need a massage to show up on the client who said "need to restart after a Sequrity patch have been instlled" click "restart or "cancel"

this is with no sus or ftp. this netwotk have no internet connection. i have to copy down all updates from cdr.

shutdown.exe

gives info what it does, then you need to wrap the Windows2000-KB890175-x86-ENU.EXE file with sms installer.

however it does take a bit of practice to use it, one example of a complete installer file is @

where we talked before about this :)

Best advice is to "try" to get Rod Trents book SMS installer but thats not easy anymore, or wrap this in something like Admin studio and make an msi.

Good luck!

What i really need. its a message that shows up then a patchenu.exe file have been deployed and installed. saying.

" New software have been installed,please restart"

And a click buttom "RESTART" no timer running. and this should popup twice a week until the computer is restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back