Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alcohol 120% caused problems with CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

umermalik

ISP
Mar 25, 2004
GB
Hi there,

Before installing Alcohol 120%, I was both playing and copying(using RecordNowDx software) without any problems. Once I installed Alcohol 120% I had problems with recording disks therefore I unstalled it. This uninstallation meant that I am no longer able to open any disks in the CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE. Please note that the drive does appear in the My Computer menu of my WinXP however double clicking it when a working CD is put in shows that the CD is blank (have tried several different CD's).

I have tried to reinstall Alcohol 120%, and also deleted the drive and restarted to let windows redetect it, but still no luck.

Please can someone guide me as to how this issue can be resolved.

Thank You,
Umer.

Try the XP forum. It looks like you deleted something you should not have.

Sounds like the two burner software are biting each other...

You should also have the Adaptec's ASPI Drivers installed...

also make sure that IDE cables are seated correctly...

Ben

Sounds like the software corrupt files. Put it in safe mode and delete the cdrw and it's software. Then start fresh also delete any other cdrom that's there that shouldn't be. Press F5 on startup to get to safe mode.Then reinstall the original drivers that came with the cdrw then it should be fine.
Keep us updated,
Cindy

I suggest that you do a "roll back" to the time before the installation of Alcohol 120%... this should clear out the Alcohol totally (as there probably are some links made thru Alcohol to certain CD types or Files that are incompatible with your system)...

After installation of Adaptec's ASPI Layer, did you use the accompanied file to Register it with WinXP? if not do so... As XP doesn't know that they are there until you do...

I use Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, Nero, ISO-Buster, Maximum Copy, and Exact Audio Copier, without any problems on one single OS (PC WinXP Pro) till this day... the only problems I had was with the Burners themselves...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back