Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alarm about zone alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

barny2006

MIS
Mar 30, 2006
US
i have a network of one desktop and onetop connected via crossover cable. everything seemed to be work ok, file & printer sharing, folder accesses, etc.
i just installed zonealarm firewall. as soon as it finished installing and re-starting the laptop, the connection was lost, the laptop didn't show up on the workgroup, and no files or printers could be shared on the net. the lap top disappeared from network connections on both machines.
just for other users to know about zone alarm. it's bad news. and bad programming for za not being able to see the difference lan pc and malicious internet stuff.

Are you using the freeware version of Zonealarm?

The paid version is clued up about ICS, etc., the freebie isn't.

Uh, it should warn you about a new network, where you can put it in the trusted zone or keep it in the internet zone. The full version does, anyway. Why would you ever use the freeware?

NoBigDeal said:
Why would you ever use the freeware?

Because it's legal, free and once you get the hang of it is a good fire wall. AGV free is a good anti-virus app for home users.

Pete.

Legal, free and basic, missing as it is all these features: Operating System Firewall, Anti-Spyware
Identity Theft Protection, Game Mode, Spy Site Blocking, Privacy Protection, Email Security, IM Protection, Wireless PC Protection

i just installed zonealarm firewall. as soon as it finished installing and re-starting the laptop, the connection was lost
Isn't that exactly what a firewall is designed to do?
Zonealarm free has a *nice* stealth-mode which "completely" hides your PC from Internet!

But it can be turned off, if you REALLY want it...

-- Jumpjack --

Isn't a jumpjack one of the most dealdy ants in the world? Or, I mean, jackjumper. Not as dangerous as the Siafu in Africa. They ARE the most dangerous ant in the world.

@NoBigDeal
It's just a short form for Jumpin' Jack Flash, a movie with Whoopi Goldberg... ;-) (I don't know anything about the song, except that it's AWFUL! :) )

-- Jumpjack --

You need to place your network into the trusted zone, this will enable you to see all the other computers on your nextwork and shared resorces.

- try here for more info, goto customer support select the program you have then D/L the manual.

Hope this helps!!!

Like cellotape, im on a roll and take drugs not candy from strangers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back