Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AKKK!!! I think I just fried my motherboard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
I'm going out of my mind, you have no idea. Here's the story.<br><br>I had a network card, but no modem, so I went to Staples to buy a 3Com 56K. Installation Instructions said insert it before you do anything else, as it needs to install a few things beforehand- so I did- but there was a problem with one of my CD-ROM drives, so I exited the app halfway and threw the CD into my other drive. Because it had already started, the CD acted as if the install had run successfully (sounds like a bad install to me), and so I had all sorts of problems.. I couldn't install. I tried actually putting the card in, and I'd get a frozen screen after autoexec.bat loads (this is on a Win98 OS).<br><br>Make a long story short... I do something incredibly stupid and without thinking. I'm kicking myself all over for this. I TRIED TO INSERT THE CARD WHILE THE MACHINE WAS UP AND RUNNING. Oh no. So my computer shuts down on its own- I think I smelled a faint burning smell. I tried pressing the &quot;on&quot; button- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS. This is pretty much my worst nightmare when it comes to computers (apart from the thing blowing up, perhaps, or getting stolen, or maybe one landing on top of me from a really high height). I'm really hurting at the moment. PLEASE tell me there's something I can do? Please tell me that even if my motherboard is fried, I can probably still save my hard drives, RAM, PCI cards and CD ROM drives? I've really put a lot of money into this machine, and I have a lot invested in it- PLEASE tell me I'm not out of luck. And let this be a lesson to you all :eek:) I've done the stupidest thing you can do (apart from maybe reformatting all your hard drives without having spare install disks, but that has nothing to do with things)... ok, so maybe none of you are about to do anything as stupid as I have done today, but still.<br><br>So is there any advice that anybody can give me? Please? Things seem hopeless... I need a hand here. Thanks.. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a helpfull tip fpr the future.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;if you dont know that computer hardware can be fried/damaged by static. do this while installing new hardware !!!ALWAYS BE TOUCHING SOMETHING METAL (tABLE) BEFORE AND DURING THE PROCEDURE!!!

um, for one NEVER do aything to a computer while it's on (seehs thats a no-brainer), and never do anything that would fry an electronic to start with) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

First of all I have some stories that would make you look like Einstein Liam, so don't feel bad. Not that what you did wasn't stupid or anything. You probably shorted something but all may not be lost. Try unplugging the unit from the wall, count to 5 and then plug it back in. This might discharge any juice that may have collected where it isn't supposed to. As for your drives and other periphs., they should be OK. <br>P.S.- You should touch a power supply plugged into a grounded outlet to disperse static electricity. I haven't seen to many metal tables with ground straps. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

In all likelyhood your power supply went when something shorted across as card was inserted. Probable worst case is replacement power supply. Next worst is PS plus motherboard. If it doesn't come back after the shutdown mentioned above then the power is probably bad.&nbsp;&nbsp;Next step is to unplug machine, disconnect the power supply leads to the MB, reconnect to wall, try powering up for 2 to 3 seconds and see if the fan starts running.&nbsp;&nbsp;If fan runs power is probably good.&nbsp;&nbsp;If fan makes a jump then stops then power is shutting down from overload.&nbsp;&nbsp;If fan doesn't move power is out. Last step for failures 2 & 3 is to disconnect floppy, HD, CDROM, and CPU fan (everything running off power supply). Then try the 2 second test again.&nbsp;&nbsp;If fan now operates then start plugging stuff back in one step at a time powering down between steps.<br>I would try MB & video as first step, then floppy, then HD, then CDR, then CPU fan.&nbsp;&nbsp;As long as the machine isn't on for more than 2 to 3 seconds at a time this shouldn't get you in problems.<br>Have never seen momentary short like you probably had wipe out a hard drive. But there is always the possibility. You will only know as you bring the system back to life.<br>And the modem probably fried. With a high enough probability that I wouldn't put it anything but a testbed machine for the 2 second test. Definitely not a production, high value machine.<br>Will be following your thread.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or if you want try <A HREF="mailto:efair@atlnet.com">efair@atlnet.com</A>.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a field service tech that fixes stuff like this for a living. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I must say, Excellant advice Ed.<br><br>I must make a recomendation, before opening the case up, as a rule of thumb I make sure the power cord is unplugged from the machine. If you follow Ed's suggestions and it looks like the power supply is the culprit, you can always crack the PS open. Make sure the PS is unplugged and has been sitting for 5 or 10 minutes (to drain the capacitors, if you don't it can hurt, really bad ;)). Inside the PS you should be able to find a little fuse, check it out, if it's blown, then replace it. This might be the problem. If not you may need to replace the mobo. I have encountered a number of machines that did power on at all, no PS fan or anything. <br><br>If your PS fan comes on with nothing attached, then you can try checking the voltage that is coming from the power supply to the peripherals. The four pronged plugs. Set the voltmeter to VDC and put the probes into the two outside slots and you should get &quot;+&quot; or &quot;-&quot; 5 or 12 V. I forget which power produces the 5v, inside or outside. Note the polarity just means that you have to reverse the probes, all your interested in is whether you get 5V or 12V. Also remeber if you get something like 4.68V that is also good.<br><br>Good Luck <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks all... I asked the manufacturer if this was covered under warranty :eek:) and you already know the answer. Although I'm going to bring it in for a diagnosis... I'll be giving them your advice, so thanks for giving it to me.<br><br>Take care, and don't be stupid :eek:) <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

One thing Liam, and it's something most people ignore or don't know about. Because of the way ATX and PCI works and is wired, an &quot;off&quot; computer does NOT disconnect voltage from the PCI slots. ISA yes, PCI no. And that includes AGP. It helps squat to discharge static and take all kinds of precautions and your'e working on a live slot. If you're removing or installing a PCI card, disconnect the power cable. Trust me.<br> <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

Clive, that is good advice, I didn't realize that. When ever I crack a case, I always unplug the power cord first. Lucky me, other wise I might have done the same thing as poor Liam did.<br><br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Depends on form factor (at or atx) and power supply (some atx have master off). And then there are the propriotory designs.&nbsp;&nbsp;Best if you don't know what you are dealing with to unplug. But once you've opened one up and figured it out then you know whether or not you need to.&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back