Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aix5.2 tuning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
hello,

i have an IBM P615 with 4096MB of ram and 2 X 1.2GHz cpus which is running like a dog. Can anyone suggest some sort of tuning i can apply to speed this box up if its at all possible?

cheers

nick

Hi

First: Is your system swapping ? (you ca use swapinfo, topas, vmstat)

Regards
Denis

Also what's it running OS / Application

Mike

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."

Could you run the following on rush-hour time and post the output here:

vmstat 1 10

iostat 1 10

svmon -P

lsps -a

smtctl (If you are running AIX 5.3)

Regards,
Khalid

Nobody can answer this question for you even if you give them a vmstat iostat svmon lsps.

That is ridiculous that anyone would give a recommendation for a prod server based off a single snippet of information.

I say that so many times, yet it seems too many want to *prove* how much of an expert they are in performance tuning they will give someone advice they possibly don't need.

You need workload data and a wealth of other information to give a valid recommendation. If you need that and cannot do it yourself, then I suggest you hire a consultant or IBM to provide you with an answer.

hi

Neither add cpu while contention are'nt fully identified .... the result could be the worst of the solutions...

regards
Denis

I have to agree with kHz, no one can offer a solution for your specific problem.

What we can do is try and provide you with the correct tools you will need and general direction on how one might come to discovering the solution themselves though...

One thing you might take a look at is:

AIX 5L Practical Performance Tools and Tuning Guide:

If you are running a database on this server you might want to take a look at:

Database Performance tuning on AIX:

Regards,
Chuck

Khz,

Why is it impossible, nothing is impossible..... :p.

Nick

Get a copy of sarcheck (you can get a 2 week evaluation) from it'll make some recommendations based on data collected from sar & ps -ef (something we could do given enough info).

Mike

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."

hello,

cheers for all the replys!

the server is running AIX5.2 and is running the following applications:-

tuxedo, websphere, oracle9i, along with in-house applications!

I have run all the various commands and all is pointing to lack of cpu!

I will log a call with IBM and see what they come back with

cheers

nick

Looks like you have the common loop: Websphere and other appls use Oracle DB, so, when they get busy, so does the DB so that there are less resources for all. Might need to more something to another server and/or have a load balancing system.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back