Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX/Win 2K prnt srvr LPD srvc -- can't get LPD installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
Folks:

I can't get my AIX (4.3.3) Risc 6000 to print through to my Windows 2000 print server.

What it is is we can't find out how to install the LPD service to windows. If we had that we could start testing again.

We can get the AIX server to send its print job to the Windows server, it's just that without the LPD service running it doesn't recognize the print queue.

Does this problem ring a bell with anybody?

You need to add the 'Print Services for UNIX' component to the W2K server. You can do that from
Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components->Other Network File and Print Services.

We tried that. Windows goes through all its gyrations then the service does not show up in 'services'. It's got us baffled.

but what about LPD port in netstat? (one numered 515)

Check the services snap-in for "TCP/IP Print Server". That is the service that is installed by "Print Services for UNIX" and enables LPD. Start that service and you will be good to go. Also, by default, the startup type for this service is 'Manual'. Change it to 'Automatic' so it will start each time the server is rebooted.

We use the JetForms application, FYI. It runs on NT/2k and (strangely enough) has very few problems. I think there was an application issue once since spring 1999, and we use it for all our national/international printing. We manufacture beverages in every civilized country in the world, so that's a lot of printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back