Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX V4 out of support when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCaterpillar23

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
GB
Hello,
Does anyone know when Version 4 of AIX goes out of support?
Thanks

What is the next step from 4.3.3 - What is the best version to upgrade to 5.1?

Is the upgrade process difficult?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated....

roomer

hi,

You have to be careful here , IBM say they will no longer
relase AIX 4.3 at the end of this year but i'm sure for a big sum probably 6 digits you can have an extended OS cover for 4.3 , however you need to find out before you upgrade whether your application will support AIX 5. becuase some application vendors may turn round and say , you have upgraded the OS and the application has not been tested on that release. For example only 32 bit Oracle 8.1.7 can be installed on AIX 5 , whereas on 4.3 you could install the 64 bit.

HTH

The support ends Dec/03 IBM will end of life (EOL) AIX 4.3.3 on June 30th 2003 - Just FYI to all....

DSMARWAY - thats just a plot by Oracle to get you on 9.2 which is certified against 5.1 & 5.2 :)

Alex

oracle 9.2, oy... well the migration to 5.1 is interesting if you have to get your NIM master set up, but otherwise it is pretty painless. you will see a few new things on your migrated machines, such as a /proc fs.

everything i hear tells me that the only real diff between 5.1 and 5.2 is dynamic partitioning. since 5.2 is a chargeable upgrade, we are going with 5.1 for now.

as for vendor support, that oracle thing is bothersome but we were going to oracle9 anyway. EMC is not supporting our HBAs in 5.1 so we have to convert them (via jumpers + driver install) to IBM 6227 HBAs. i think oracle9 upgrade requires Java1.3.1 (5.1 comes with 1.3.0 i think), and either it or 64-bit SAP requires Perl 5.6.1. there is a .bff on for perl5.8, good luck adding modules to it.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back