Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX command to force DNS to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
Hello all,

I am updating my server to AIX 5.1 but I am renaming it for easy of change by my users. I know there is a command to force DNS to change in windows, ie ipconfig -r. Do anyone know of a command that will do it on the AIX platform?

Thanks for any help.

How do you determine the PID? Also, the DNS server is a Windows server, I just need it to read the new IP address of the AIX box.

Do the same thing on the Windows server that I said to do on the AIX server. Refresh/restart named.

Unless the Windows server is the primary for NIS of AIX, you will need to make the change mannually.

Hi,
If you are changing the name of AIX bos, you need to update the new name of AIX box in the DNS.
May be you can add the oldname as an alias to the newname so that both names will be resolved to the AIX box.
This DNS update has to be done on the DNS Server.
After this, you can reload/refresh the DNS server so that it will respond to the name query for the new AIX boxname.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back