Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX Banner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeblance

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
Ok, first I'm newb to AIX. like yesterday new. I work with HP-UX and Solaris. I've been asked to place asset information on some Sun and IBM servers. On the Sun servers I placed it in the eeprom oem-banner. Is there and equivalent in IBM-AIX?

Thanks,
ddeblance

IBM RS/6000 use the service processor. It is menu-drivered. When you plug the power cord, after the led show OK, you can connect to serial 1 with the RS232 cord. But I don't know what you want to do?

Basically I need a place in the server to add information like asset #, serial #, purchase order #..... by request of the end user.
What I'm doing in Sun servers is using eeprom to make a banner that they can type "eeprom oem-banner" and it reports "customer name, purchase order, asset tag, serial number".
I also have to do this on Dell servers as well.

Thanks,
ddeblance

If all you want is to show the info. You can put the info in a file called oem-banner and then cat the file. You can make a script to do this. Make one script called eeprom in here just put cat oem-banner or more oem-banner or pg oem-banner. Make sure you put the files somewhere in your path for you can run it. Make the eeprom file 755 to be able to run it.

Example oem-banner
Customer Name
Purchase Order number
asset tag #
serial #
model #

Thanks for all the help. I received some info from another tech that's familiar with AIX and he mentioned to edit the /etc/motd and just add the info. It works fine for what I need. Comes up after login and can run cat /etc/motd

Thanks
ddeblance

You should know that you never put that kind of info in the motd file. This is the first thing a hacker would see. You should only have nondiscript message like your logging on a secure system or some thing like that. With too much info on the screen they would know what kind of system there hacking into. As a AIX admin the first thing we are taught is to protect the system and give a no hint as to the type of system your in. Just my thoughts.

lpblauen

What do you do with this then ? (just curious)

AIX Version 4
(C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 1996.
login:

Alex

Its used as a disclamer screen. here is an example we use on our pharmacy systems.

The Pharmacy System contains sensitive patient information that is protected by Federal HIPAA regulations.
Disclosure or unlawful use of this information can
result in termination and may also incur civil penalties
under law.

OR our other systems
Unauthorized access prohibited.

hello,

speaking of security, AIX is the only operating system to send several CR/LF before the banner and the login prompt appear. I know how to change the banner , but how to disable the CR/LF ??

regards,

letis,

Are you sure those newlines (\n) aren't in the herald stanza of /etc/login.cfg? I don't have one with the default entry, but the only newlines we see are the ones we've got in the herald.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back