Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX advice for a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanatic

MIS
Apr 29, 1999
US
Visit site
I hope this posting is not too general or simplistic for this forum. My company is implementing a new integrated sofware package (aix based) and I will the be de facto sys admin for our location (my "regular" job here is purchasing). We are one of four manufacturing plants that will be tied into the network. The server itself is not at our location. My new duties will include onsite administration of the sofware program itself, as well as AIX configuration and maintenance of user profiles, term servers, printers, data collection devices, etc. Our division MIS works at another location and my taking on of these responsibilities frees him up to concentrate on the other 3 plants. He is very helpful and easy to work with and has been her to help me get started. His time, however, is limited, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can on my own. Both with him and solo I have done some printer, server, and tty configuration through smit, and a brief emergency session over the phone with him talking me through a user profile in vi. Sorry to take up so much space with this, I mention it by way of explaining my limited background in AIX. My impression is that most people at this forum have either formal computer science education, years of experience, or both. I have none of the former, and a little of the latter. Based on recommendations I've seen at other sites, I recently ordered a book called "The AIX Survival Guide". So...to get to the point, and my question, already: Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on learning more about AIX? Books? Links? I have discovered that I actually love this stuff...not just AIX, but anything to do with computers, networks, and operating systems in general. I'm 45, not 25, so it's kind of odd to find I have a passion for this stuff at this age.<br>
Enough from me! Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for your time,<br>
Steve G.<br>
<br>

There are tons of UNIX books out there. I recently saw a "UNIX for dummies" book that was fairly simple. "Unix in a Nutshell" is also good. I would recommend going to Amazon.com, booksonline.com and check out a Barns & Noble bookstore. Good Luck!

You are on your way! Your affection for UNIX help, <br>
and UNIX will 'teach' you how to talk with it. <br>
I also recommend this large book: "UNIX" by <br>
Rosen, Rosinski, Farber & Host". Of course what <br>
you can do cheaply is use the 'man' pages. Call IBM<br>
if the 'man' command doesn't work. <br>
- jec, B.S. Computer Science, 1986, University of Michigan

Try the Unix Guru Universe. There's a lot of useful links and information there:<br>
<br>
<br>
There's a very nice basics tutorial at the Unix Reference Desk<br>
<br>
<br>
More instructional at Unix System Administration Independent Learning<br>
<br>
<br>
Once your comfortable with AIX look into getting a good basic shell programming book.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps...<br>
jfk<br>

My sincere thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. It's all been very helpful and appreciated.<br>
Steve G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back