Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aix 6.1 NIM install

Status
Not open for further replies.

johny2K

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
CA
aixperts,

in-an-ibm-frame of mostly aix 5.3 servers, i am considering one lpar to run aix 6.1. i got the aix 6.1 install CDs, but my master nim is running 5.3 and i don't have cd/dvd drive on a frame. as i can remember, your master should be higher than your client when considering NIM install.

any brilliant idea?

thnx.

Never tried it but i think the best way is to test this! What you said is right about your master should be higher than your client when considering NIM install but it is always tempting to test this concept!

My NIM master is 5300-04-03 and i used it to install 5300-05-06 (but as you can see there is no much difference between the os!)

Regards,
Khalid

my limiting factor would be the absence of CD/DVD drive. any idea?

Maybe you can nfs mount the CD from other LPAR!?!

You have to create the lpp source somehow!

Regards,
Khalid

If you have a VIOS on that machine, you could share the CD/DVD drive to the LPAR you are trying to install AIX6 on.

If you have the DVD for AIX6, you might want to try and [tt]dd[/tt] the DVD image straight to a raw disk (or SAN LUN) on another server that HAS a DVD drive and then try to boot/install off of that hard drive (the one with the DVD image)?

[tt]dd if=/dev/cd0 of=/dev/hdiskXX[/tt]

How come you have a frame/server with no CD/DVD drive? Doesn't seem to make sense to me? Or is it just broken?

HTH,

p5wizard

the frame is being manage remotely. there are SA in the location, but sometimes in a BIG company asking someone to insert a CD/DVD in a drive - is like "you'll have to wait forever", especially if you're just in a testing phase and you're just preparing it for eventual project kick-off that HAS NO DEFINITE date, yet.

the best option i got is to fly-over and do it there but have to wait next year. khalidaa's suggestion is next to reality but have to beg the SA at remote location again :(

thanks for the ideas.

Bribe one of the SA's maybe? Promise you'll bring a sixpack of his/her favorite poison? ;-).

Seriously, AIX on a DVDROM instead of 8 or so CDROMs means you'll only have to nag one of the SA's just one time to insert the DVD, all the rest can be done remotely...

HTH,

p5wizard

If you've got spare capacity why not build a second master at 6.1?

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

thanks. lol... nice ideas.

mrn is right. i'm looking for old box that can run aix 6.1 and go from there.

thank you aixperts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back