Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aix 415 NIS yppush ypxfr

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnalwyn

Technical User
Feb 13, 2002
GB
Hi,
I have a problem with an NIS server when trying to export the maps:

updated netid
yppush: 1831-459 No response from ypxfr on centurion

pushed netid
couldn't find /etc/netmasks
Target "all" is up to date.

I think ypxfr is supposed to be initiated by ypservd, but it doesnt happen. There are no slave servers on the network.
Any ideas please?
Cheers,
John

Hi john,

It's a problem I had in my Aix enviroments, After a lot of research, I found out that this problem is a bug in AIX 4.1.5.
The problem is that from a specific date (I don't exactly remember) the ypxfr is not working anymore.

Here are some solutions for you:
1. you can change the master to be some other Unix (Solaris, Linux ..).
2. If the date is not important you can change the data on the Master (If it won't solve the problem, try to erase the pag and dir files from /var/yp/domain_name).

I hope it will help you.

Shay.

Hi Shay,
Many thanks for your response. I did find a similar problem in another forum which was also date related, but his started working again when the date changed from 6 to 5 digits, i.e stops working in October but starts again in January. I can't change the server unfortunately, nor the release of AIX as there are 84 other CAD stations getting their name resolution from it. Is it safe to delete the pag and dir files? My present course of action is to download the latest 415 patches from IBM.
The problem isn't a major one as NIS still works, it's just a bit annoying that it hangs during the mkmaps.
Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back