Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX 4.3.2 installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesps

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
CA
Hello,

I am relatively new to AIX world but coming from a linux background. I would appreciate any advice in this matter. Here it is: I have the 3 CDs (installation kit?) labeled

AIX V4.3.2
5765-C34
Volume x of 3

Using these CDs I am trying to set up a 7043-140 RS6000 workstation because the old drive has just died.
After entering the SMS using F1 at boot I have configured the boot order, I have checked that my system "sees" both the cd-rom and hard-disk drive and then I tried to boot using the first CD. I see the cd-rom blinking for a little bit and then the F05 shows up on the display and this is it, my installation stops here (if it ever started:)

Am I missing something? As far as I know, the installation CDs should be bootable and I only needed a floppy for AIX 3 am I right? Is there a way to check if those CDs are the right ones, if they are bootable or not? I don't have another RS6000 workstation to test these on. But I have tested the cd-rom drive and cables to make sure the're not at fault.

Any help would be greately appreciated, thanks in advance!

James P.

I forgot to add something:
I have also tried the same thing using the AIX 5L for POWER V5.1 5765-E61 (5 CDs). No success though, same thing happened :(

Do you see any output to the screen at all?

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

Mike, thanks for your reply.
The answer is yes I do have the console working. It stays at the well known "Starting software... Please wait" message at the start. The cd-rom LED blinks a few times and then it does nothing. The error code is: F5B.
I have also tried to boot using the standalone diagnostic cd available on IBM's website but the same thing happens. The thing just won't boot at all.
I have tried: replacing the SCSI cable, replacing the cd-rom drive, using the other 50-pin SCSI bus. Same result. :(

Forgot to add that I have also upgraded the firmware to the latest version. Still no success.

I got it sorted out. It seems that my memory was at fault. I took out 2 DIMMs from the 6 I had and then it magically worked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back