Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIX 4.2 vs. NT4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangerous

Programmer
Aug 31, 1999
GB
I need to set up my AIX system so that i can print via NT onto my NT printers. I have previously used Novell as the print server around my network so i know that this is possible.<br>
<br>
Also, how do i setup AIX so that it mounts a virtual drive on the NT servers.<br>
<br>
If anyone has any ideas or knows where i can find the information then please let me know.

Not sure why you would want to mount a drive in order to get remote printing working. What do you mean by that?<br>
<br>
Have you considered getting a version of LPD for NT? That would let you define ordinary remote printers on the AIX box.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
---<br>
Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com<br>

Mike, i shall look into LPD for NT, thanks for the idea.<br>
<br>
The mounting og a drive on UNIX is a seperate issue, i need to be able to import and export data to and from the NT servers, ODBC is not an option as it is far to slow for the volumes and diversity of data that needs to be transferred. There is no link between the two projects.

Hello,<br>
<br>
WindowsNT have a LPD compatible daemon... just install the &quot;Microsoft TCP/IP printing service&quot; for the CD.. then start it, and make it startat startup (with Control Panel -&gt; Services)... then add the remote queues in AIX.

darkstar: I know that Samba let you mount unix drives on the NT box, does it also go the other way and mount NT partitions as unix file systems?<br>

I use a sharity daemon (like samba) to connect to my NT servers. It is flawless. Also has a print dev that allows AIX to print to NT/95 shared printers provided you use IPX or TCP/IP.<br>

kaih, yes, Samba can go the other way with the smbmount command.&nbsp;&nbsp;Type &quot;smbmount \\ntbox\share /unix/mount/point&quot; and then &quot;smbumount /unix/mount/pint&quot; when done.&nbsp;&nbsp;I haven't done it on AIX, but my experiences with it on Linux are positive.&nbsp;&nbsp;Precompiled versions of Samba can be found at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back