Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIT Drive/SCO 5.0.7/641 Controller 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

birchsl

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Proliant DL380 G3
Compaq 641 Controller
SCO Openserver 5.0.7
Smart Array 641 Controller
2 x 18GB Mirrored O/S
2 x 146GB Mirrored Data
1 x AIT50 tape Unit

I have successfully installed 5.0.7 onto this hardware and loaded the ciss host adapter at boot time. I've used the 'mkdev tape' command to add the SCSI tape unit but when I try to write to the tape I get the following error:

ksh: /dev/rStp0: cannot create

When I run 'hwconfig -h' the tape line appears as follows:

tape - - - type=S ha=0 id=4 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ciss unit=0

The device is also listed in /dev

crw-rw---- 2 root root 46, 0 Mar 23 12:51 rStp0

Has anybody else experienced this problem?
Could it be to do with the ciss host adapter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the tape drive connected to the 641 controller? ...um now that i look...yes = ciss
Is the tape drive a "hot" swapt drive?

sco and hp do not support (i.e. it probably doesn't work) a tape drive as a hot swap device. (which i think are the only devices that you can put in a dl380). We ship ML350 g3's and the tape drive is never on the 641 controller.

The tape drive is an internal hot swap drive. We have another server (W2K) running exactly the same setup i.e. with both mirrors and the tape drive all hanging off the 641 controller with no issues. Is this just a SCO limitation?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that SCO supports this configuration.

tape - - - type=S ha=0 id=4 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ciss unit=0
Is the SCSI ID of the tape = 4 ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

PHV, the scsi id on a device on the raid controller doesn't necessarily map to the scsi id that you would define in the mkdev process. On the raid controllers (641, 532,lc2 etc) you define logical drives that map to the scsi id's that the os sees. so if the tape drive is physically at id = 4 the controller would present:

logical drive 0 (mirrored 18 GB drives) as scsi id 0 even though the drives phyically use scsi id 0 and 1
logical drive 1 (mirrored 146 GB drives) as scsi id 1 even though the drives physically user scsi id 2 and 3

I haven't tried it but it might work if you do the mkdev tape with scsi id 2 instead of 4

stanhubble, I agree.
I've heard that on some raid controller, to address a tape drive you should use LUN 1.

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks for all our help - I'll try changing the SCSI ID to 2 first and let you know how I get on.

Still haven't managed to get this working.
Tried all configurations of SCSI/LUN/BUS and adapter with no luck.

Any one got any ideas?

Birchsl,

Your configuration is supported by both SCO and HP.

Assuming the ciss adapter is HA0 then the following settings will work when adding a SCSI tape drive (AIT, DLT, DAT or whatever):

HA=0
ID=0
LUN=0
BUS=4

Hope this works for you. I have had success with this in a very similar configuration.

Fantastic - it is now working.

Must have been the only configuration I didn't try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back