Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aironet Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCLDTony

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have a Cisco Aironet 1100 that whenever I connect to the network, the network is brought to it's knees with apparent broadcast packets.

I connected the AP to one end of a Fluke NetTool and the other end to the switch. The activity lights on the side of the tool that the switch was plugged into was solid green. The side plugged into the Aironet showed what I considered to be normal activity. The NetTool reported FCS errors on the side of the Cisco switch.

So I took the AP and plugged it into a spare, unconfigured switch that we had. Same results. I swapped the cables on the NetTool and the problem followed the switchport. Same FCS errors. I swapped the AP with a laptop and the errors ceased.

I tried this both with my current config on the AP and also with the AP reset to factory defaults. Same results both times.

I have yet to see a bad Aironet AP. But it sounds like may be the ethernet interface is bad? I have tried different cables, etc and get the same results.

If the AP is bad, why do I see FCS errors and steady data on the switch side of the equation? And insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

Tony

what type of switch are you using and how is it configured? Have you checked the settings to ensure that the duplex is correct?

As the previous poster says you probably have a speed duplex mismatch which causes fcs errors and all kinds of slow response . Check the wap settings for the ethernet port for settings they must mtach the switchport settings , if it is auto then the switchport must be auto , if you have hardcoded the speed/duplex on the wap the switchport "must" also be hardcoded .

Thanks for the replies.

The switch is a Cisco 3560 and I have made sure the duplex and speed settings are the same on both pieces of equipment. The WAP was set for auto as was the switchport.

When the NetTool is connected between both devices, utilization on the side coming from the switch is constant. I have tried this on several switches, with the same results.

I am still thinking this is a bad AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back