Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aironet 1200 GUI Upgrade problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimxmonty

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
GB
I have been having problems downgrading the IOS of an Cisco Aironet 1231G. The IOS we require to run is c1200-k9w7-tar.123-4.JA.tar

Whenever I use the GUI interface downgrade the current IOS nothing happens. We have verified all settings, closed all running applications and are using the correct procedure, however from my PC the procedure won't work. We have tried it from a different pc and had no problems, does anyone know what is causing this issue???

Regards
Jim

Use TFTP or FTP from the CLI:

archive tar /overwrite /reload tftp://10.1.1.1/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-4.JA.tar

Why are you downgrading?

Andy

Thanks Andy, I have used the Command Line to do these, but was developing a training document and wanted to demonstrate how to do it via the GUI also. It seems to work ok from other PC's but not mine. Was wondering if anyone had similar issues???

The Access Points used in this network all have to be the same image specified by design team. They like this image and want all access points downgraded.

Hi Andy,

I have the same model AP as Jim's (Aironet 1231G). I have experienced a similar issue during tftp upgrade of the cisco IOS from c1200-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA4 to c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA3.tar. Have tried both the GUI & CLI(as well as on different pc's), but get a failure message of "invalid format" from the AP. The Tftp server error reads "Read request for file <c:/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA3.tar>. Mode octet [19/05 09:19:38.302]File <C:/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA3.tar> : error 123 in system call CreateFile The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
If you have any suggestions as to what the problem may be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Not sure Bill. Have you tried a different TFTP server? Make sure you are upgrading over the Wired Ethernet and not the Wireless. Apart from that you could try FTP as opposed to TFTP.

HTH

Andy

Andy,

I have tried different TFTP servers, as well as FTP. Confirmed I am upgrading over the ethernet as well. Tried different pc's just in case.

Weird stuff for such a basic process.

Bill

Bill

I just re-read your initial post and I think the line:

"Read request for file <c:/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA3.tar>. Mode octet [19/05 09:19:38.302]File <C:/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA3.tar> : error 123 in system call CreateFile The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

May be your problem. By default your TFTP server will be configured to work from a directory or the root of your hard drive, you don't need to specify the volume name (as in C: in your case. I use 3Com's TFTP Server (3CDaemon)and it is configured to use a directory on my PC (c:\tftp\). On the AP I enter the following to upgrade the AP from my TFTP server running on host 10.1.1.1:

archive tar /overwrite /reload tftp://10.1.1.1/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-4.JA.tar

Notice I don't specify a volume name just "tftp://10.1.1.1/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-4.JA.tar"

HTH

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked! I have been able to successfully download the new code to the AP. Will keep a sharp eye out for my CLI typos for TFTP in the future.

Your Help was greatly appreciated. If I could be of any help with Network - related issues you may have in the future, just ask.

Best Regards,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back