Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air Conditioner restart post power fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2005
US
I have a portable air conditioner in a server room that I need to restart after a power failure occurs. I understand many of the new models have an auto restart function built in but I'd rather not purchase a new AC unit.

That being said, can anyone recommend an alternative solution to cause the AC unit to restart after power failure? Basic research revelealed a 'realy switch' but I'm unsure if this will work considering my AC unit as a 'power on' switch.

Alternativly, is their some aparatus that will detect a power outage and send e-mail or text to system admin?

Any reccomendations are very much appreciated

Not sure on the portable unit.

As for the monitoring, are you using a UPS? If so, is it a managed UPS? I ask, because we monitor the input and output status of our UPS units with SNMP and if there is a power failure we send an alert. Also, the UPS has the alerting ability built into it as well. Alternatively, we also use to monitor the status of network devices that were not UPS or Generator backed and when the went ping down we would send an alert through our monitoring app. This has its drawbacks though as someone can turn off a printer and then the system admin (me) gets a little crazy thinking there is a power outage.

Thank you for the info. I adjusted the UPS to shut down a server when it does not make contact with the domain controller, signifying a potential power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back