Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AIM -- This is a tricky one 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacecodotnet

Programmer
May 17, 2004
US
I am really frusterated with AOL Instant Messanger. You see, way back in the day, I wanted all my text in AIM to be red. Now, however, I just want plain old black text.

I can change my text color, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change my SN's color. What I mean by this is, when I send a message, it says:

peacecodotnet: Here's my message

I want my screen name to appear in blue, just like everybody else's does...but it appears in red!!

The reason I asked in this forum is because the only thing I can think of is that it has to do with a registry entry. I have tried everything: loading a new buddy list, re-installing AIM, even getting a new screen name. Nothing works!!

So I guess my real question is, where are the registry entries about AIM, and which one will fix my problem?

Thank you SOOOOO much in advance.

Peace out,
Peace Co.

This really isn't a Microsoft problem or situation. You should be directing your question to AOL.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

The AIM registry keys should be located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online
I'm not sure if it's in there but I did see a lot settings.

One more point....................serves you right for wandering in the realm of AOL, thats where Evil origionated from. AOL junk to many bespoke apps on your system, change service provider and plop MSN mesenger on your system!

I dont use AOL as a service provider, I only use AIM to chat, thank you very much.

I'd like to thank Dreadson for actually helping.

Thanks man, you rock.

Peace out,
Peace Co.

I haven't used AIM since it first came on the scene, so I may be wrong here, but isn't the screen name in red to differenciate between your screen name and the other user's?

What I mean is, this is just what is showing in your view message screen. The other user's screen would show your screen name in the default color while their screen name shows red on their view screen.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but I have seen this in various chat programs and messenger type programs; therefore I don't believe it is a registry problem. Try asking your chat partner what color your name and their name is showing in their view message window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back