Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ah, here we go. Microsoft got rid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, here we go. Microsoft got rid of the blue screen of death and replaced it with the black screen of death. They're both a pain in the butt, but the blue screen was prettier.
Okay, so here's the problem. My ex-wife just bought a refurbished HP/Compaq desktop with Windows 7 installed. I went over to hook up everything for her, and to upgrade it to Windows 10. After hooking up all the hardware, started up fine. Started the upgrade process and went to eat dinner while it did its thing. Completed the upgrade and setup and everything went fine. The next day the ex tried to use it, and it wouldn't come out of sleep mode. Went over and corrected sleep settings, put it to sleep, waited about 3 minutes, tapped the space bar, and viola, it woke up. Problem fixed. Or so I thought. The next day I get a call that the tower woke up, but, and I quote, "the display is in twilight, there's a cursor, and I can sorta see the desktop background, but I can't do a damn thing." Okay, must be drivers. Upgrade all (I think 2 needed it, the rest were fine). Test it again. Three minutes later wakes out sleep. Fine, got it fixed. Or so I thought. One minute later the display turns off. WTF? I look down, solid light. Not asleep. Try to wake up the display, no go. I've never encountered this problem. I need assistance.
Oh mighty Windows gurus, please help!
Current power and display setting:
Hibernate: Off
Hybrid Sleep: Off
Turn off Monitor: 30 minutes
Sleep Mode: 30 minutes
Turn off Hard disk: Never
Mouse and Keyboard allowed to wake computer: On
Computer allowed to shutdown USB: Off
The only thing I can think to do, is a reset, or flash the BIOS. And I rally don't want to flash the BIOS. Had it go south one time, not pretty.

Have you tried another monitor? Refurbs are a roll of the dice, some are great, others are just buying someone else's headache.

The Black Screen of Death actually preceded the Blue Screen of Death. Windows 3.x had the black screen. Microsoft upgraded to a blue screen with Windows NT.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

rclarke250, the monitor worked fine on her old tower (windows xp), and with the new tower when it was running windows 7. At this point I'm going to assume it's not the monitor per se, but a driver or system setting. Possibly a BIOS setting.

BionicJohn, yeah I saw that thread too. I'm thinking I might as well try disabling the current driver and have it use the microsoft basic display driver.

Here's the thing though guys. Testing it, it works the way it should every time, but in real life when it should turn off the monitor and go to sleep after 30 minutes, no go. It always turns off the monitor earlier than that, and usually goes to sleep a minute or two later.
Here's another thing; when a made I recovery usb, after the windows 10 install, it made a recovery for windows 7. Now I know that the version of windows that you're upgrading from stays on the hard drive, and allows you to roll back to the previous version for 1 month. My questions are:
1. Shouldn't windows have made a recovery drive for 10 since that's the os in use?
2. After 1 month, if I were to make a recovery drive to usb, would it then make one for windows 10?
3. If I were to do reset, would it reset to windows 7 or 10?
4. And finally, is it possible that there is a dual boot going on? If so, would I be able to see it and change it from the boot menu?

Sigh, the nice thing about windows 98 is that you could "force" it to do things it didn't want to do. The newest versions just flip you the bird when you try it.

I noticed you had both the monitor and PC set to sleep at the same time, but that's not really necessary. When the PC sleeps, the monitor will too. So for starters, decide which one you really need and disable the other one (or leave them both enabled, but extend the sleep timeout for the PC). Also it's worth pointing out that you might as well allow the hard drive to sleep if you're willing to let the entire PC sleep. Try setting that at the same time as the monitor.

If that doesn't help, disable PC sleep altogether and see if the issue goes away. If it does, then at least we know the GPU and monitor aren't likely the issue.

Before we can really dive into this, it would help if you provided the hardware specs (model, integrated graphics or standalone GPU, CPU, RAM, etc.).

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

A reset will only apply to the operating system that is installed. Here is some light reading for you if you ever get the time.

Reset Windows 10

Refresh Windows 10

See, "Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows"

Recovery options in Windows 10

See Creating a recovery drive

Repair & recovery

Creating a recovery drive

Create bootable USB drives the easy way

How To Make a Bootable USB, CD or DVD to Install Windows Using an ISO File

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

How to create Windows 10 system image backup and restore it

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

Restore it via "System Image Recovery" in Advanced Startup options.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

I prefer to use third party software to create a Partition image as I don't fully trust the Windows software to restore any created image.

Image for Windows

True Image 2016 by Acronis

"Advanced Troubleshooting

If for some reason your installation of Windows 10 locks up on you and will not proceed (or you're facing a black screen problem)—this could have something to do with an inherent corruption in your previous version of Windows. The only way to properly fix this issue is to re-install your previous version of Windows fresh. Once you have it installed—activate it—and from there you should be able to jump straight into Windows 10 by using the method provided".

Windows 10 Manual Upgrade & Installation

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Clean Install Windows 10

Perhaps your machine would have benefitted from a Clean Install of Windows 10? That way it would not have to carry across the excess baggage from earlier Windows.

A Clean Install of Windows 10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

light reading? REALLY? That's good info. Why don't you create one or more FAQ for this forum?

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back