Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP x8 in a old M/board

Status
Not open for further replies.

heliosbluemk2

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
GB
Hello i've put AGP x8 video cards into x4 m/boards before now with no trouble at all but what if I was to put a x8 one into a really old m/board with a x1 or x2 AGP slot, would it still work

thanks in advance for anyhelp

Am just trying to sort a similar scenario: 8x Leadtek A280 card into 2x AGP of a P-II. Can't get an higher than 600x800. Otherwise, seems to work fine. Tried everything I can think of: latest DirectX, reinstalled latest nVidia drivers. Would be very grateful for some ideas.

8X AGP (v3.0) cards will not work in old AGP 2X (v1.0) slots--they use different voltages. IN fact, you will probably fry the card or your motherboard or both!

Helmut, your leadtek probably works a bit because that card was originally designed for agp 4x and the 8x support was added later by nvidia. Maybe your problem is driver related??

Read this brief description of different agp specs:

TO add to above, both of you would be most interested in the last paragraph. It's difficult to answer the question with certainty, but you should check the video card specs and mobo specs if you have them to confirm compatibility. But my guess is that the brand new 8x agp (mostly likely v3.0) card will NOT work in the agp 2x slot (v1.0).

How old is the mobo? You may find that the new card won't physically fit. The old boards have a different number of a positioning slots.

Thank you very much for those tips - still following them up. Meanwhile, neither M/board nor v/c seem to be frying (or I wouldn't be typing this)! The M/board's an AOpen AX6LC Rev1.1;Chipset - Intel 440LX; (P- II 266). I recently upgraded M/board drivers but BIOS probably old.

Hello,

I have put a GeForce 4 MX440 AGP8X into a AGP2X slot. Everything works, except for the resolution and colours (16 colours only)
When I install the drivers for this card, windows won't start up. Any suggestions??

So you see it works putting an AGP8x into an AGP2x slot, but not the way I want it to...

Re running nVidia AGPx8 on old P-II AGPx2 systemboard.
(GeForce4 Ti 4200; Leadtek got back saying that it would run because it was x2, x4 & x8 compatible; and in any case, it fitted into the slot)
Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Meanwhile, I've clean-installed Windows and the very FIRST thing I did was install nVidia driver 53.04_win9x (with DirectX 9 support).
HEY BABY! Got as many colours and as much resolution as my monitor can stand. Was beautiful to see... (After all the mucking around.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back