Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Texture Acceleration in Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust13

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Anybody know why AGP Texture Acceleration (DirectX) is not available in Windows 2000?

Is there anyway to enable it?

This option was available before I upgraded my OS from Win ME to Win 2K.

The MB and video are capable. ----------------------------------------
Is George Lucas Kidding...

Ok I was looking 4 the same answer u needed here.Well I found it 4 us hehe... just get the agp miniport driver from the website of your MB manufacturer for your Mothereboard and win2000 ...and VIOLA ...success ...

let me know if u need help with this .

What is you AGP Aperture size setting in BIOS?

I had the latest 4in1 driver installed and the latest ATI drivers and it still was not enabled. (I have AK77Pro motherboard and ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DDR 32 video card, Windows 2000 Professional SP2).

I had AGP Aperture size setting in BIOS set to 16 MB before as it was the only setting my PC wanted to boot with at the time when I was installing Windows 2000.

After the successful installation I did not have "AGP Texture Acceleration" in DXDIAG enabled until I changed AGP Aperture size to 32 MB.

If I set it iger than 32 MB, my PC will hang on startup after the Windows logo with the empty screen and a mouse cursor on it.

I was running my aperature size at 64MB.

However, this weekend, I upgraded my system to FIC AN11 Mobo with the Via KT266A chipset, running the Via 4in1 4.38(2)v(a) drivers. And Bam! it was there, AGP Texture Acceleration when I ran dxdiag.

I suspect this was a drivers issue, but with having so many changes, it is hard to tell.

I urge someone else with a similar problem and hardware to download the Via drivers and confirm whether that was it.

Thanks! ----------------------------------------

I cannnot get the 3rd directx 8.1 feature to work. The AGP texture acceleration. Says the driver is unsigned and I dont know what to do I have tried everything. I have a Nvidia gforce2 mx400 card. Says it should work.I tried going to the AGP driver site for PCchips who is the manufaturer but according to the model it is not supported in win xp. What do i do?

Johhny, just go to Nvidia's website and download the latest Detonator drivers for your card. Update your BIOS, update the drivers for your chipset (whether SIS, VIA, Intel, or whatever), and you should be set. ----------------------------------------

How do i update my BIOS and for my AMD athlon is it VIA I have NO IDEA.

Ok I have done all that and still nothing. Seems to me that when i went to update the driver for my VGA it did not have one for my model. Any ideas?

Your motherboard manufacture will have the BIOS update, and will most likely have step-by-step instructions how to do it (make sure to them out print first). Pay special caution to any readme that may accompany your update. If you don't know your motherboard manufacture, go to Zdnet.com and download Sandra, this will accurately identify your MoBo manufacture, BIOS, and chipset.

Go to VIA's web site and download the latest 4 in 1 drivers. It should be 4.38 or better. This has a major update for the AMD/VIA miniport driver for your AGP port.

Lastly, go to Nvidia's site and download the latest build of the Detonator drivers for your OS.

If you need more help, let me know. ----------------------------------------

I need the same help, I don't even know if my card has AGP text... Its a Voodoo3 ,my computer is AMD Athlon, MMX, 1gig with 256mb ram... I just want to know what I am doing in Ultimate Ride Coaster Deluxe any help would be appreciated.

I have thhis problem also. My board is a A7V266 (ali chipset) the processor is a Duron 800 and my video card is a visiontek xtasy gforce3 and my OS is win xp professionnal. I have installed last driver for ali, for nvdia i have lokoing in my bios and the option is enable in there too. I begin to think my borad is broken. Any idea?

I have thhis problem also. My board is a A7V266 (ali chipset) the processor is a Duron 800 and my video card is a visiontek xtasy gforce3 and my OS is win xp professionnal. I have installed last driver for ali, for nvdia i have lokoing in my bios and the option is enable in there too. I begin to think my borad is broken. Any idea?

Hey I have this problem too - I have a Geforce4 Ti4600 card on an asus A7A266-E motherboard. I have the latest (nvidia) vga driver for the card and the latest bios for the motherboard. This is all running on winXP professional.
When I run dxDiag it shows that I cannot enable 'AGP Texture Acceleration'.

Anyway I may have found the solution. I haven't tried it yet as I have only just found (and I'm at work :-() it but it looks like (if you have an Ali chipset) you need to install their AGP Miniport Driver. Please goto for more information. I really hope it works for me and for anyone else.

just to update. The above didn't work :-(
Still can't enable AGP texture acceleration. This was using ALi 1.90 AGP Driver. I'll keep looking

Hey wait a minute,I thought the AGP aperture size should be half of your RAM and not your grfx card!

Hey, I had the same problem. This is how you enable AGP;
1. Get RivaTuner, and make sure it is Release Canadate 11. Find it in the download section of any 3D website base.
2. Ensure you have the lasted Nvidia 29.xx drivers (I have the latest Nvidia-blessed ones).
3 Update your AGP driver should haven't already done so. If you have an ALi, then get the 1.90 AGP driver.
4. Extract RivaTuner into its own folder, then run it.
5. Go to the PowerUser tab, disregard the warning, then look at the bottom for the folder icons. You want the second one from the left which when selected displays "Open matched Detonator database." Click it.
6. Once it loads, find the fifth line, it should say, "NVIDIA Detonator 29.4x w2k(even if you have XP) System."
7. Once found, scroll down to "Enable Ali AGP." Right click it, click the lighted bulb, and make sure that "1" appeared in the right-hand "Value" column. Exit RivaTuner and reboot.
8.Once rebooted, initate a directx diagnostic and you should find that you can enable the AGP texture acceleration.

Later and take care, Raj

i have same problem with textute acceleration
i have win98, and a RADEON 7000 64 MB, any ideas? pls help me.
bisierbi3@hotmail.com

I have a SOYO SY-7VBA133 MB and a voodo banshee (Evil Queen).
I have download the 4 in 1 drivers and I install the Agp driver but still I can´t get the AGP acceleration to work.
Any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back