Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Texture Acceleration in Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust13

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Anybody know why AGP Texture Acceleration (DirectX) is not available in Windows 2000?

Is there anyway to enable it?

This option was available before I upgraded my OS from Win ME to Win 2K.

Yes, the MB and Video are capable. ----------------------------------------
Is George Lucas Kidding...

DirectX 7 is included in Windows 2000. If you want the newest version (8.1), go here:
You can also beta-test Version 9.0 as well.
To see your DirectX info - it's in a different spot.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information, then bring the "Tools" drop-down at the top of the screen for the DirectX diag tool.

Hope this answers your question.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Sorry - forgot to include a much faster way..

Start/Run, then just type: dxdiag

:)
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Running DirectX 8.1 already. ----------------------------------------

Graphics drivers, that's the problem. I had the same problem on one 2K Pro machine runnimg a generic S3 Savage 4 Pro.
There's a simple little trick to fixing a lot of graphics driver problems that I've been using for years. Use the equivalent driver from Diamond Multi-Media. After a short time of Windows 95 being out, this little trick became out-dated, but with 2K here, it's good again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm already running Diamond/S3's most recent reference drivers (which are sorely out of date). However, I've experienced this problem with Nvidia and Voodoo products as well.

I am yet to see a Win2k box running AGP Texture Acceleration. I am beginning to think it is a short coming of the OS (Microsoft didn't really have native gaming and 3D acceleration in mind when they respun NT for Win2k). ----------------------------------------

AGP Texture Acceleration is a must have for the serious gamer!!!
I am experiencing this same issue with 1 of my PC's. Here is what I have found to correct it. DO NOT USE a VOODOO or S3/Diamond Video card when installing WIN2K. These cards do not support AGP Texture Acceleration. * If you reinstall with an NVidia Product, it will be enabled(Direct X)
I have 2 PC's (1 just reloaded with NVidia Video, works like a charm :) My 2nd PC WIN2K was loaded with Diamond Stealth S540 and now I want to upgrade to GeForce4 Mx420, no dice on AGP Texture Acceleration. Looks as though the only answer is reinstall WIN2K with NVidia/GeForce installed this time. I have searched high and low for an alternative, but nada, thus far.
Will Keep this updated.

You need to download & install the AGP miniport driver for your GFX card.
<< JOC >>

The AGP Mini Port driver is latest and greatest. I did try this before I posted here. In fact all the drivers, critical updates have been brought up to date, still no AGP Texture Acceleration. I have not reloaded the OS, but still say this will be the ultimate solution. So if you want to experiment, load win2k with a Voodoo, S3 graphics and go to town on this one! I am sure that long after I have relaoded the OS, someone, somewhere, will figure this out.
I am optimistic as always, but reality must prevail.

Hi! :)

I guess this is a bit of a weird suggestion, but might be worth a try if nothing else does work. Of all things, Netmeeting sometimes gets in the way of 3d acceleration in Win2K. By default, whenever Remote Desktop Sharing is enabled, 3d acceleration is disabled. ( ) IIRC, I think I've seen cases where AGP texture acceleration got messed up, as well. In at least one of the cases, the user didn't really use NetMeeting at all, as far as I could figure out... ??? (It seems that remote desktop sharing - or some value related to it - gets turned on somehow, in some cases, without any real user interaction.)

To make sure that remote desktop sharing is truly disabled (assuming NetMeeting is installed! :)):

Start --> Accessories --> Communications --> Netmeeting --> Tools --> Remote Desktop Sharing. At this point, it'll either send you through a first time wizard or give you a checkbox which says, &quot;Enable Remote Desktop Sharing&quot;, or something of that ilk. For the wizard, can just click Next until done. (Don't have to set password for screen saver if you don't want to) Then, if you go back to Tools --> Remote Desktop Sharing, you'll be at that, &quot;Enable Remote Desktop Sharing&quot;, checkbox. From there, believe it or not, you want to check it if it is not checked, then click on OK. (If it is checked, you can just uncheck it.) Then, if it wasn't originally checked, can do a Tools --> Remote Desktop Sharing and uncheck it, then click on OK. (Whew!) Once that is done, can close NetMeeting - sometimes have to make sure is really closed by checking system tray or the task manager - and give things a try in dxdiag.

HTH! :)

Groov, thanks for the idea. I have seen this work before and have actually attempted this to no avial in this situation. No I understand that AGP functionality is not necessarily disabled because this option is not available in DXDIAG. But I do notice a significat difference with graphic performance when this is enabled. From my investigatons, whenever a Voodoo/S3 (this all the brands I've used) is installed in a WIN2k O/S, AGP Texture is not enabled. The cause from what I've read is that soem Video Cards, with over 16MB, disable this feature, do to all the rendering is done with CPU on the Video Card and its own memory. However, with the newer breeds of cards, this option is not disabled, as there is a significant increase in Video Peformance by adding the usage of CPU and RAM as well as on board CPU/Memory for the Video card.
My trouble is, I installed WIN2k w/ a S3 card, then upgraded to a Voodoo 5 5500. Now I am using a newer card, GeForce 4 mx420 64MB, supports AGP Texture Acceleration and I can not determine how to go back and change the registry entry/setting to reenable this feature(w/out a BSOD). The good thing is I know it can be done, but requires a complete O/S reload with the GeForce product installed. I'm just trying to find a shorter fix, to save the backup process, reinstall all apps, etc.
I do appreciate that tip though, it is a very good idea. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back