Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Texture Acceleratio Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinji257

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
Just what the subject says.

Here is what I have

ASUS P4PE
Intel 845PE Chipset
ATI Radeon 8500 (64 MB)
Windows XP Pro

What I have tried
Installing latest Intel Chipset Drivers -- no effect
Increasing AGP Aperature size to 256 MB -- no effect (I reverted to 64 MB after checking for effect)
Installing latest ATI video drivers -- no effect
Flashing BIOS with latest update -- no effect
Verifying a AGP driver is indeed listed in Device Manager - An entry named "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Processor to AGP Controller - 2561" was found in the listing. It has a AGP440.SYS driver in the file list for that entry and Windows reports that it is functioning properly.

Dang do I feel like an idiot. I tried one last thing right after posting the above message. I used SmartGART's Retest Option (note: you need the control panel installed). I let it reboot to run the tests again and viola! The AGP Texture Acceleration became Enabled.

Question1: Are you trying to get your ATI card to work due to the fact that it isn't working now?

If you bought the card and you are trying to get the ATI card to work, then please tell me. I know how to do this. When you respond please tell me if the ATI card is in an AGP slot of a PCI slot. If it is in a PCI slot you have to disable the video card. I can help you get this done fast and easy. Please respond.

HELP!

My Rig:

P4 2.4 w 533 FSB
VIA P4PB 400 Mainboard
512mb PC3200 Ram
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

Have installed:

Latest Hyperion 4n1 drivers
Catalyst 3.4 drivers

CANNOT get AGP TExture Acceleration Enabled...says Not Available"

Thanks!

Okay, I got it working...only thing is I did several things at once so I'm not sure which did it - but here's what I did:

1. I did a search on the folder c:\windows\inf (c:\winnt\inf if running 2000/nt). I searched for files containing the word catalyst (because I have an ATI) and deleted what I found.

2. I uninstalled my video drivers via add/remove programs.

3. I opened device manager and uninstalled my display adapters.

4. I rebooted.

5. When windows found my new hardware it couldn't find a driver for it (because I deleted the .inf files) so it listed it as vga with an exclamation point.

6. I went to AMD's site and downloaded and installed this registry fix:
It says it's only for Windows 9x/Me/2000 and not for XP but I used it anyway (I'm running 2003 server).

7. I went to Microsoft's site and downloaded directx 9.0a (even though I already had it installed). I got it here:
It's very important you download directx from that link because we need all the files for the next step (the normal download installs dynamically and won't help us).

8. I extracted the directx files to a folder and then I right clicked each cab file and extracted it's contents to a folder also (don't do the one ending in 98 if you're on 2000 and don't do the one ending in xp if you're on 98). I then went through each folder and right clicked on every .inf file and chose install. If you get an error on any of them it probably means your in a folder meant for a different OS so just go to the next folder.

9. After that I clicked on the Directx setup.exe and reinstalled Directx rebooting when prompted.

10. I reinstalled my display drivers rebooting as prompted.

11. I ran dxdiag and agp texture acceleration was enabled.

Before doing these steps I tried maybe 15 times uninstalling/reinstalling my drivers and reinstalling directx - I really think it was clicking on all the .inf files that did it but I can't be sure. Please let me know if you try this if it works for you. My e-mail is nicholaspstaff@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Nick

I am having a problem running a program on my computer. I have DirectX 8.1 installed but the 3rd option of AGP texture acceleration is not enabled. How can I enable this feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back