Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agobot.6.H Virus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paz8473

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I use AVG virus software, it located a virus a while back and informed me that it had been removed, but ever since then I get a popup message when my PC sits idle for a few minutes, the message is as follows: Virus identified worm/ Agobot.6.H is found in system file C:/System volume information\_restore{599EE4B7-B281-4319-8676-4FDD248A4A94}\RP415\A0043829.exe
To remove this virus run AVG for Windows

I have run AVG numerous times but still get this message, even after updating to the newest version of AVG, so my question is: How can I get rid of this annoying message and virus/worm, it doesn't seem to be causing any ill effects to my system and AVG claims it is quaratined, but the popup message is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.
Paz

paz8473,

According to info I found at McAfee's site about this virus
Scanning an infected machine will detect and clean the infected hosts file as W32/Polybot.l!hosts .
The worm will be still be running on the machine at this point.
The machine should be restarted (normal restart, safe mode not required), and an on-demand scan performed again.
The worm will be detected and removed from the system.

So that begs the question, "did you reboot and rescan after AVG told you that the virus was quaratined?"

Wishdiak

Yes, I have rebooted and rescanned, but I will try it again right now just to be sure.

AVG is finding the virus in your System Restore folder. The System Restore volume can not be accessed by your virus scanner. Turn off System Restore, scan, then turn it back on.

Turning off system restore and scanning seems to have done the trick, Thanks!
Paz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back