Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

agntsrvc.exe has encountered a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyH

Technical User
Feb 3, 2000
US
To preface this post, I am not a programmer nor do I use this software. I am a PC support technician who has to figure out this error message from one of our labs. Two machines are displaying this error message. They are loaded with WinXP Pro SP1, Office 2003, Oracle 9i and a few other misc. applications. Upon startup, the following error message appears:"agntsrvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The application event viewer shows it as an application error 1004. I have searched high and low (from what i can tell anyway) and cannot find a solution to the issue. Any ideas? The error message pops up before any applications are loaded.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Hi,
And you think it is related to Oracle why??

Find the file, right-click it and see what its properties are ( especially the company) -

[profile]

The file is located within 2 different oracle folders on the system. When I right click on it it says it is created by Oracle. It is the OracleORADEVAgent from what I can see. When looking at the services, it is listed under OracleORADEVAgent Properties and points to the path c:\oracle\oradev\bin\agngsrvc.exe. The file version is 0.0.0.0 and the description shown when I right click is Oracle Intelligent Agent Executable.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Hi,
Try setting the startup option for that service to manual and waiting until the Database is up and open before starting it..See if that helps..

[profile]

I did set the service to manual on one of the systems that is having this problem, but the error still appears. It is showing up after the desktop loads and the Oracle database has not been opened, which is throwing me for a loop. At first it appeared the message went away after I set it to manual, but it started popping up again.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Hi,
Please clarify..Do you mean that the error appears even if the service is manual and you do not start it until after the database instance it monitors is available?

If that service is not required by your Oracle architecture you can disable it with no effect on most Database operations..( Check with your Oracle DBA )

[profile]

PS: See if this link helps diagnose the 1004 error:

The error appears whether the service is set by default or if I set it to manual, and it appears before anything is even launched on the system. No applications other then the OS are running and the message appeared. Will check the link you provided and let you know what I find. Thanks for your help.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Hi,
If it errors out even before being started, I would disable and uninstall it and try to reinstall it ( If you need the Oracle Agent at all)..

[profile]

Disabling the process seems to have resolved it for the moment, will have to continue to monitor it. Thank you for the input.

pcheather@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back