Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agents that use local databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneEyre

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
ES
I've tried to create an agent that moved documents from a database (on a server) to a database that is on PC, but it doesn´t work. The agent must run on a server and I think that´s the problem: this server doesn´t know how to write in my PC.

Does anyone know what´s really the problem? And the solution?

Thanks.
Jane Eyre.

I do not believe there is a way for an agent that runs on the server to access a specific desktop's local data.

An alternative (not an ideal one) may be to map a drive from the server to your local machine and have the agent use the drive to access the database that you have locally.

Another option would be to have the agent copy the data to a server based database and after the agent runs move the database from the server to your local machine.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Maybe I must give full details of what I want to do.
The goal of the agent is to archive old users mails in local databases and free server space. The agent must run under certain conditions and at specific time and it has to be valid for all users.

Is it possible?
Is there any tool which do something similar?

Thanks again.
Jane Eyre.

I am not aware of any such tools and the only way I am aware of to move documents to a local machine would be to have the client run the agent. You could trigger the archiving when the user enters the mail file through a database script or something, but that is all that I can think of.

Good luck.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back