Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

agent installed but not reporting 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bales

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2004
US
Hi
Bit of a newbie, sorry. I've got some machines with installed agents (at least the McAfee Framework Service is running) but they're not reporting back to EPO (we're using v.3.0.2). Pushing Agent installs from EPO doesn't work, restarting the service doesn't work, and on the machine itself, running FRMINST.exe on the command line to try and uninstall/reinstall the agent doesn't work because it doesn't like the parameters I give it (\REMOVE=AGENT, \INSTALL=AGENT). Is this even the correct way to try to reinstall an aggent and if so, what's up with the parameters?

thanks

You didn't say what operating system you're clients are on but this is a frequent problem.

Lately, I've been having good luck sending an agent install from ePO event though there's already an agent on the computer.

Some time ago, I had this problem on some NT and W2K and developed a batch file to uninstall then reinstall. That always seems to work.

This works for about any operating system.

Create a folder and call it something like agentfix

Inside the folder should be a batch file something like agentupd.bat, the latest framepkg.exe and the latest sitelist.xml.

Inside the batch file:

call c:\epoagent\frminst.exe /forceuninstall

call c:\program files\network associates\common framework\frminst.exe /forceuninstall

call c:\WNT2KAGFIX\framepkg.exe /install=agent /siteinfo=c:\WNT2KAGFIX\sitelist.xml

Copy the whole folder over on the client c: drive and execute the batch file.

That will uninstall the agent in either of the two locations it might be then reinstall.

You can also use it for a manual install. If the folder you're looking for the agent in doesn't exist, there will be a quick error message but wont stop the batch file.

If you have a product like System Tools - Hyena, you can copy the folder onto their c: drive remotely then set up a scheduled task to run it. Send the user an e-mail or call before you do with instructions because they are going to have to click OK a few times. I've got people on my network who think they have a virus and cancel out if you don't tell them what it is.

to make things simple instead of using a batch file, by your message you used \ instead of the correct / which I do all the time, otherwise you have the correct statement to remove and reinstall.

Actually I cut and pasted out of the batch file. According to McAfee when I was working on them with this problem, / was what they gave me. It works so I didn't question them.

The back slash \ in the DOS paths is what's displayed by cmd.exe when you are inside a directory.

I used a batch file because I was dealing with users in four different countrys, about 100 at the time were having trouble. I was able to use multiple methods of getting the folder on their c: drive including login scripts. It wasn't possible for me to go to individual computers and besides if you're telling a Chinese user what to do, it's easier to describe how to copy a folder than copy this file and this and so on.....

I didn't know if we were talking about a large or small network in the description of the original problem.

Hi bfralia
Thanks for the batch file - I got the xml and exe files, tried it on one of the machines, and it ran fine (finally) -but then epo *still* reports that machine (XP pro, sp1, btw) as having no agent - maybe there's some lag time, or the problem is on the epo server side...
but again, thanks anyway - I'm going to try that on our other (supposedly) no-agent machines too.

Brian

jfp23 is correct. "\REMOVE=AGENT, \INSTALL=AGENT" from the original poster is incorrect syntax.

bales, I'm glad you were able to get it to work. About the only time i have a computer that doesn't report back, it turns out it's not actually logged onto the network, maybe just turned on so you can see it but.....

jfp23, I believe there's a command like /remove=agent but it seems to work if it wants to or is in the mode or something. The /forceuninstall leaves no option and it uninstalls if there's something there.

Also, with 3.02a there's a client task that you set up for the epo agent to update. That takes care of getting the client tasks to local client, updates dats, etc. Have you don't an agent wakeup call to the client you updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back