Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After you conference, how to go to another call? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill211

Technical User
Jun 9, 2008
US
This is more of a usage question.
After a user does a "Conference" with a third person, then he wants to leave those 2 people talking, Is there any way to get off that call, leaving them talking, so he can make/answer another call?

We're on an IP500v1, Release 8.1, using 5410 phones.

More details:
We're a 211 service. The public calls us for referrals for health and social services.

A person called our 211 line, our staff thought he was suicidal, so he conferenced him with the suicide prevention hotline.

However, the call took one HOUR. They were talking for an hour.
He could not take any other calls from his phone, because he was on this conference call. Which he didn't want to be. He wanted to take other calls. That person was being helped by another agency.

I realize that "Tranfer" is another option, but it's better customer service to conference people. You can ensure that the other person picks up the phone.

Question: When I'm on a conference call (that I started) is there any way to leave the conference and allow the other people to continue talking?

Thank you,
Bill

On the System | Telephone tab, uncheck the box for "Drop External Only Impromptu Conference", then the person that initiated the conference call can disconnect, leaving the other parties connected

Yes, mine was already unchecked and I see that it does what I want it to. I see how it works, now that you gave me that option.

Manual says:
Release 5 will add a new setting in Manager (System/Telephony/‘Inhibit External
Only Impromptu Conference) that forces external participants to drop from a
conference call when the last internal conference participant drops

It turns out that the IPO already does exactly what I want:

If you don't want to be on the conference call any more, just hang up.
The other people on the call remain connected.

That's the default setting (I believe)
Which is what we want.

Thank you, Tommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back