Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After VPN connection to company cant use Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguync

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
US
Using, WindowsXP, cable modem (roadrunner). Set up Microsoft VPN to connect to my office. Everything has been running fine for months. Last week this problem came up. Once connected and authenticated I can't use Outlook or the Intranet. Outlook gives msg. server not avail, work offline? and Intranet won't open any pages. I know my setting are correct (in TCP/IP). I can ping most of my companies IP addressed but not by name. DNS Service is Active (after doing an IPconfig /all), and my work IP addresses are listed. Now, the only thing I remember changing around the time it started is I applied a patch to IE 6.0. Since then, I re-installed IE and it didn't help. TCP/IP setting are: Host name - (can ping), obtain and IP and DNS server automatically, DNS=Append Primary....etc. WINS=Enable LMPHOSTS LOOKUP and Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. No other entries in any fields. Any ideas ?

bigguync,

Three suggestion:
1. Check if any changes made to corporate DNS. Have had this happen before and they swore they did not do anything to affect it. After reviewing my settings with them and insisting they review their changes, we found it.

2. Remove and reinstall VPN components. They could have become corrupted.

3. Check your HOSTS and LMHOSTS files. You may have entries that are interfering with their operation. Files can usually be found in
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

Good luck.
The Old Man

Thanks for the reply.. 1. They tried and said they can't find anything. (???). 2. I redid the VPN 3 or 4 time. 3. Both local files are blank, just the intro stuff, no IP's.

bigguync,

Hmmm ... sounds fishy.

Before going to the IT guys again, check to ensure that you've got the correct address for a good WINS server. Since you can ping by IP, I really lean toward DNS or WINS.

I had a similar circumstance. I worked remote from the office. The network guys had set up their DNS so that all you had to do was type INTRANET in your browser and it would take you there. It did, as long as you were on the LAN in the office. If you were remote, it did not work. The IT guys told me I was crazy since it worked for everyone there. I used IPCONFIG and took screenshots of the browser pages to show them the messages. I also used NSLOOKUP to gather information about the name server in use, query type and anything else I thought might be useful. Eventually they found that certain records had not been set up correctly. We were able to work around the problem until they corrected it by using a fully qualified name. For example, intranet.mydomain.com.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back