Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

after starting sql server , it stops with 2-3 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

adcounsel1

Programmer
Jan 27, 2005
PK
Dear All

When I start sql server, it automaitcally stops after 2-3 seconds. I am unable to run EM and backup my database.

Pls guide me, how I can make backup of my database and repair SQL server.

Thanks

You may need to contact microsoft support for full assistance. Start with the basics.

1. Login to the server computer - terminal services, dameware, or physicall in front of the server with an windows administrator account.

2. Check to see if you can start the sql server service. Start > Settings > Control Pannel > Administrative Tools > Services. With a typical SQL 2000 installation, the name of your services is probably MSSQLSERVER. Check to see if you can start this service. Also look under the column "Log On As", what is the value "LocalSystem" or a named user account? Did the service start? If not, check the windows event application error logs under My Computer > Manage.

Come back with more details, if you can. This services must be running or else you will not be able to generate a new backup of the database.

Thanks for assistance.

I have tried this as well, but the situation remain same, sql server starts but stops after few seconds, Within this period, I run EM but it doesnt connect server / databases.

Pls guide...

Thanks

Don't worry about Enterprise Manager for the moment.

It's just a front end that connects to the server.

In the SQL Server's log folder you'll find a file called ERRORLOG. Please post any errors from the log.

The default location of the log file is c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Log.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back