Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After power outage IP phones that were working are giving Bad Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlessdrone

Technical User
Apr 28, 2010
US
We had a power outage last night that was long enough to make the UPS' run out of juice. Now this of course took the entire phone system down. 99% of our phones came up just fine but we have about 10 phones that are now coming up with Bad router? Nothing changed on our VLan or network settings these were phones that were working and then stopped and now show the Bad router? Is there a way to quickly default these and have them pull up-to-date firmare.

Sorry dont want to sound like I have no idea what the heck I am talking about... but in this case... I have no idea what I am talking about.

do you just have to press mute or hold it as you spell it out

I have tried both and the phone just sits there with the bad router?

If the ethernet switch went down, is it possible that the vlan tag on the port the phone/s is plugged into was dropped?? Is there anything common to the 10 phones not comming up? are they on a switch not common to the ones that did come up?

No nothing common they are scattered all over the place. If we take a new one-x phone and plug them into where the 4621 was they come up just fine.

Unplug the cable from the telephone and then plug it back in to get it to reboot. When you see "press * to program", press *, then use the # to go through all prompts without changing. At the end it should display something like "no changes" and then "enter command". At this point press "mute clear" or "mute reset".

Those options dont show up. I am starting to thing the phones may have gone bad in the power outange. I even tried the mute test # and that did nothing. When you reboot the phones they just come up right into DCHP on VLAN 0 which is the wrong VLAN but you cant interupt the the bootup process at any point and manually setup the phone.

As soon as the phone detects Ethernet it will tell you and it should say '* to program'. Hit *. Your option 176 in DHCP may not be set properly or the switchport may not be configured properly for the voice vlan. My guess is option 176 isn't right since when you say 'new one-x' I assume you mean 96xx series which uses option 242 in DHCP and, as you say, those phones are working.

that option never comes up, that seems to be the problem. It look slike it was in the middle of loading firmware, as it starts with files but press * to program never comes up. The boot up of all these phones is very different then phones that work.

We did find that if we forced the port on a switch to the right Vlan (instead of doing it on DHCP)they come up fine but the second we go back to DHCP it wont come up. Also these phones never get the * to program like the other phones that are working.

Force the port to the right VLAN? The port on the data switch needs to have the VLAN configured in order to allow traffic for that VLAN, no? My config (cisco data shop) for an access port looks like this:

switchport access vlan x
switchport voice vlan x

That way the data switch knows how to move voice traffic (control and talk path) and data traffic (for locations that use the port on the phone for the PC). If option 176 is configured and VLANTEST=60 (default) and the phone is unable to access the voice VLAN it will, after 60 seconds, go to the native (I believe) vlan which it looks like is 0 in your case. The no * to program thing is a little kooky.

If you can get the phone to come up by statically assigning it, then once it's up press the MUTE button then followed by 27238, scroll down to CLEAR and press that...

Also, if you were able to statically assign the phone, you would have also been able to clear it-

Thanks,
98C

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back