Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After NT 4.0 Server Rebuild I can't log on to PDC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katriona

Programmer
Aug 29, 1999
AU
Hi there,

I have recently had to rebuild an NT 4.0 server and I'm having problems getting the computer recognised on my LAN. When I try to specify a domain to log into in the Network property pages I get an error: "The domain controller for this domain cannot be located."

I'm fairly new to all this.... any help will be appreciated greatly :)

Thanks in advance

Katriona

Katriona,

Is the server a member of the domain? If he is a member of the domain, maybe you can check your wins configuration. If the server does not has an address configured for a wins server, it wil not find a domain controller and display you that message: "The domain controller for this domain cannot be located."

greetings

*** asteriks ***

Usually caused by the server on the network getting worried.

Go to server manager on the PDC and remove the newly installed server then add it back in.

Release and renew the IP and reboot the new server (not necessary but can solve further troubles).

Thanks very much for your help, I will check all that :)

Katriona

My NT 4.0 server sp6a has some corrupted files and when I go to user manager for domains I get a blank screen, none of my users show, and it says could not find domain controller for this domain. What file (files) should I restore?

eriksond,

from where do you run you usrmgr? did you start it on de PDC, another DC or from a workstation, were you installed the network clients??? If the problem resides on the PDC, than i think your SAM database is corrupted.

greetings

Asteriks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back