Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

( * ) after name on LCD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjamm

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2001
US
Periodically I will see a ( * ) on the LCD display after a callers name. The caller is local with in the same PBX and calls me via a 4-digit extension. Has anyone seen this or knows what the ( * ) represents?

I have seen this with networked PRI type calls, but this is local within the switch.

I beleive this is when calling from a 39xx set with messaging turned on.

That's correct - set-to-set messaging sends that extra character as well as activiting a short buzz on the caller's end. If the caller is calling you from a 3903 set, you'll see the (*). If they are calling you from a 3904 set, you'll see a character resembling the the following: {<->}

explain messaging on a 3900 set, i've never used it? thanks

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks... That's what I had it pegged down too, but wasn't 100% sure. Although the <-> is a new one. I haven't seen it.

John.. The 39XX phones have a an application key and if the phones have CLS=STSA, they are able to set a message up that will be sent to the calling phone, such as, "OUT TO LUNCH", "PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE". I am not sure of what Nortel's plan is with the feature but you get to it from the APPLICATION key on the telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back