Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After installing Redhat 7.1, Can not ftp or telnet any more. Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sina

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
CA
Hello everyone,

I installed a new 7.1 install and choose the option no firewall.

After the install I can not ftp or telnet to the server anymore, does anyone know why or how to get around this?

Thank you all

Hi,

It looks as if, unless you do a custom install and don't select it, that the redhat firewall 'lokkit' is installed by default on 7.x versions. Because of that, you would indeed to configure the firewall as described to allow port 25 through.

Regards

did you path to /usr/sbin and run lokkit?
by default 7.1 disables telnet, ftp, etc.
additionally, exec chkconfig --list and verify wheter
or not telnet is set to on or off.

Hi, I am having the same problems, I managed to get telnet to work, but when I run chkconfig wu-ftpd on I get the message no such file or directory.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ftp from the rpm but it is still the same.

Any help please?

Hi,

Well, assuming you used the redhat rpm, amongst a lot of others there should be a file like this installed :

/etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd

The command to activate would be (must be as 'root'):

/sbin/chkconfig wu-ftpd on

I can't see why that wouldn't work unless you don't have the chkconfig rpm installed --> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.1/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/chkconfig-1.2.22-1.i386.rpm . Check with 'rpm -q chkconfig'. If you get nothing, download the above rpm and install as root with :

rpm -Uvh chkconfig*.rpm

Then re-try command.

You can also manually edit the /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file and change the line 'disable=yes' to 'disable=no' which will achieve the same result.

Regards

Now that I see you're talking about lokkit ... It seems to me that something's wrong with it, since I run lokkit, set any option (No firewall for example), hit OK, and nothing happens. If I run lokkit again, i see the same old configuration (which I'm not sure if it's working or not), security level: High.

How can I get rid of lokkit to configure the firewall manually? Or How can I make lokkit to work fine?

Thanks guys,

Hi,

I have come to the conclusion with lokkit that all '/usr/sbin/lokkit' does is create a (new) ipchains based config. In other words, I suspect that it doesn't acknowledge that there is already such as config and its default of 'high' is just the suggested choice.

The way it seems to work is that if you are running the 'ipchains' service it will read the truncated ipchains commands stored by lokkit in the config file (/etc/sysconfig/ipchains ? - I'm doing this from memory). So, you can edit that file if you like. To stop it totally you would disable the ipchains service :

/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 ipchains off

Then create your own and call it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local ....

Regards

hi everybody,
We are using Red Hat Linux 7.0 as a mail server using sendmail.The strange thing that we had noticed is root account automatically gets disabled.twice or thrice happened like this.The only thing we had done is re-installing the server.why so like this??. Is linux is not that much secured??

regards,

shashidhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back