Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After installing Redhat 7.1, Can not ftp or telnet any more. Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sina

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
CA
Hello everyone,

I installed a new 7.1 install and choose the option no firewall.

After the install I can not ftp or telnet to the server anymore, does anyone know why or how to get around this?

Thank you all

check the xinetd configuration files (
Code:
/etc/xinetd.d/
and
Code:
/etc/xinetd.conf
)... It is possible that these have disabled the services you are after...
AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I just like to mention that this is a new install of Redhat 7.1 and I have done that like on 3 systems with different configs but all of them show the same results {No FTP and TElnet possible).

So I think Redhat has changed some config files.

Anyways as you suggested I looked at the files (the config file) but to be honest, I don't know what to change. Any help?

Thanks much,
Sina

Here is something that works with REDHAT 7. VI the /etc/ftpusers file and put a # in front of the root (first listed). Then delete the /etc/securetty file. Those two allow ftp and telnet in redhat 7. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

In
Code:
/etc/xinetd.d/
look for the files
Code:
telnetd
and
Code:
ftpd
. RedHat 7.1 installs with the default
Code:
disable = yes
in both files. Setting that to
Code:
no
should enable both services.

mbr

Ehmm, i forgot to mention that you have to restart the xinetd-service to activate the changes in your config-files, but you probably have read that in the man-pages, haven't you?

(
Code:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
)

ciao,
mbr

Hi mbr,

Actually i have face same type of problem as Sina....
After I had applied ur suggestions. My Telnet and FTP access is now functional.

However, i want to ask why the default is set to disable?? are there any special purpose ??

thanks for your help

Wailey

Security.
It's easy to forget to lock your system down again after an upgrade. It's less easy to forget to open it up since it won't work unless you do. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU.

It works great.

Thanks for the time taken.

Sina

You know that you can install an alternativ to telnet and ftp. It is called ssh and is a crypto version of the above. It aslo has a lot of other feature but its much much harder to crack. Better check it out :)

How did you fix it? James Collins
A+, MCP

All I had to do was to : in /etc/xinetd.d/
change the files telnetd and ftpd.

RedHat 7.1 installs with the default disable = yes in both files.

I set them to no, restart the service and thats all.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

Thanks for your help also.

Thanks

I will print this one for future use. Someone should create an FAQ on this for RedHat 7.1 :) James Collins
A+, MCP

I am rather new to LINUX so bare with me. What I know I have learned via trial and error. So in redhat 7 is there another way to set up FTP and telnet without deletting /etc/securetty? James Collins
A+, MCP

Sure,
Don't allow root to log in remotely except through a secure,
encrypted app. (SSH)
Normal users can login just fine w/out deleting anything.
Use a privileged account and an ftp daemon which allows some
flexibility (like proftpd, but all of them have problems)
in configuration and only allow user logins(no anonymous).
If you are worried about security, you should think seriously about replacing anything that sends passwords
in plain text over the wire.

Hi,

I'mm also a newbie in Linux. Just installed Redhat 7.1 and I'm experiencing the same problem. It's just that I did everything you suggested but I still can't ftp or telnet to the server!! Any help would be appreciated!!

Hi,

Just to go thru the things to look for again (this assumes you have the telnet-server and wu-ftpd rpms installed) :

First enable services under xinetd :

/sbin/chkconfig telnet on
/sbin/chkconfig wu-ftpd on

Then configure the firewall :

/usr/sbin/lokkit
or
/usr/sbin/gnome-lokkit

allow inbound telnet (port 23) and ftp (port 21).

You might then have to restart the network (I'm not sure if lokkit does that for you) because the ipchains commands generated by lokkit are read and invoked by the redhat network initialisation scripts.

You should then be able to get telnet and ftp logon prompts. Please note that you cannot logon as root, however, because of pam security restrictions. This limits root logons to only the ttys specified in /etc/securetty .

Hope this helps

I'm having troubles with rsh. I already edited /etc/xinetd.d/rsh (changing disable=yes to disable=no). The /etc/hosts.equiv gives access permition from my remote linux box. hosts.allow and hosts.deny are also properly configured, so i think this is not a tcpwrapper problem. No firewall chains are loaded.
I'm stuck! Please help!

Hi,

The r series of tools are regarded as insecure and for this reason they are shipped as disabled. They should work after your amendment to the xinetd file (assuming you re-started xinetd) but will not work as root for similar reasons that prevent telnet as root, i.e. pam modules come into play and read /etc/securetty . The default pam file (/etc/pam.d/rsh) is as follows :

#%PAM-1.0

# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh" must be

# listed in /etc/securetty.

auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so

auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so

auth required /lib/security/pam_env.so

auth required /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so

account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

So you have to change that or amend /etc/securetty . See --> .

Regards

Hi! I would like to know, is it same way to enable port 25 for smtp service?

rgds.
munu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back