Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

after install of Red Hat 7.1, monitor goes blank after start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitsnshigles

Technical User
Jun 30, 2001
US
The Installation goes smooth, then it reboots and after all the little green [ok]'s are done , an IP address flashes on the screen then the monitor goes blank. i tried different monitors, same thing. installed again on new hard drive...same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Happy Holidays Everyone.

My only thought here is a bios or boot sector issue. Maybe it can't find a suitable boot device and is trying to boot over the network (NICs are usually the bios' last ditch effort to start the computer). Go into your bios and make sure it is trying to boot from the hard drive before the network.
If the bios looks right, then its probably the partitioning scheme that the bios doesn't like. If its an older computer, you have to fit a boot partition before the 1024 cylinder limit. A 50MB partition at the beginning of the disk (mounted to "/boot")is the usual way to go, and the RedHat installer will take care of the details.
Assuming that you're not trying to dual boot, are you installing LILO as your boot loader and letting it write to the MBR (master boot record)? That could be an issue.
I dunno. There's a few ideas off the top of my head.

Good luck,
Andre

if you are getting all the green OK's then it is booting and most likely going into graphical mode and you XF86Config settings are incompatable with your video card and or monitor(s).

once it goes blank try hitting CTRL-ALT-F2.
this should give you a character login prompt then you can go in and modify the X settings.

HTH
stan

Oooh. Lack of attention to detail on my part. I didn't see all the "green oks." Good call stan.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back