Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After hours network instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMorey

MIS
Jul 5, 2001
AU
System: Windows 2000 Server, clients = Win98SE. 22 users on small lan. Problem: When there is only one user on the system (before or after hours) that user is regularly loses contact with the server and has to reboot the client PC. On rebooting contact is re-stablished but it frequently drops off in a few minutes. I didn't believe the 2 users who complained about this, but it happened to me this week and it's really annoying, especially when you're inputting material on a server-based SQL database (Accpac).

Is this a domain controller?? Is it a peer-to-peer network?? Is it a standalone server?? More info would help us point you in the right direction. If it is a domain, make sure the users are allowed to be logged in after hours.

Should have mentioned -- it's a domain controller. Netgear RT311 gateway router and Netgear FS524 switch. No hours restrictions on log-on. The single user can log on OK -- issue is that the connection drops off.

When you say the connection drops off, are they losing their ip address?

Could be Your response suggested I might try something: when the connection dropped I ran winipcfg, released and renewed all. This restored the connection. Question: Why, and how to prevent whatever is happening?

I have this problem too - except it happens during regular business hours. I have users working away - then all the sudden they lose their connection to the network.
Any suggestions?

Bmorey,

YOu didn't say what the results of the winipcfg was? Did you have a valid IP address before you did a release and renew? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

I have an all W2K environment except for one W98 client. This user gets booted off the network about once daily but maintains a vaild IP...just losses authenication for some reason. I thought it was just me....glad to hear it's not.
I have been looking for reasons, but nothing yet. We have one W2K DC and all the W2K clients have no problems.

P.S. I thouhgt maybe it was the network card and replaced that..it seems to have subsided somewhat..but still happens.

Replying to Taztug: yes, winipcg shows a valid IP address. I don't think this is anything to do with address leases as when it happened to me it happens 3 or 4 times over an hour. The main connecting factor seems to be that it happens when the affected user is the only user logged on to the LAN. Judging from NYR's response it appears to affect Win98 clients.

I had a similar problem when I ran a Win2k domain with one 98 client (the rest were 2k or NT 4). I couldn't find any reason why it kept losing its network connection. I eventually had to attribute it to Win98's instability.

I've found that 98 and 95 tend to lock up their networking services if their network connection has a hiccup, whereas NT 4 and 2000 are much more resilient to that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back