Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After ghosting Scandisk not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I have a dilemma here that I have been racking my head over for a while. I have Ghost version 5.1 that I am using to Ghost images to new PC's. All appears to go well until I run a routine Scandisk after word. I get the error that states there is not enough Memory to run scan disk. Now these PC's are running Win98SE with 20 gig Hard Drives and 128Meg of RAM. I have tried many unsuccessful things. ANYONE have any clues? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

The problem typically occurs when you copy the ghost image of a smaller sized drive to a larger sized drive. The delimiter of jumps in size is (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). When the change jumps passing these delimiter, you get the problem of out of memory when you run scandisk.

A quick diagnostic is to call the dos box and run the chkdsk on your drive. The drive size and cluster (allocation unit) size should have the characteristic of default FAT32 value :

drive size / cluster size
<=8GB / 4KB
8GB-16GB / 8KB
16GB-32GB /16KB

If chkdsk shows data that violate the above relation, you are in business. Go and read the MSKB article :

To correct the problem, the easiest way is probably to resize the partition then copy the image. Or you may find 3rd party utility that might correct the cluster size problem.

regards - tsuji

Not enough memory almost always points to &quot;low system resources&quot;. Though you have 128 MB of RAM, running Ghost followed by Scandisk can eat those resources quite quickly.

You have three options:
1) Manually configure the Windows Swap File (by setting the min and max to 320MB) - post back if you need more info
2) Reboot your system immediately after running Ghost
3) Use a third-party app (such as Cachemaster) to optimize the swap file and RAM without rebooting

Of course, you can always check msconfig and disable processes that boot with windows

~cdogg

Swap file and RAM has been Optimized> Tried setting the swap file as well> Tried Other programs such as free ram. Nothing worked.

tsuji. Will look at the MS article when I get back from my business trip on Sat. Thanks for the info. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

What I really need is a solution. Any Ideas? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

What is your finding, to begin with?

The MS article above states it has to do with basically the cluster size being different when I ghosted. That much I knew. What I need is a way of fixing this (I have MANY PC's I do not want to reload and MANY more that need transfered). I am looking for a solution to the cluster sizing issue. Any Ideas? I figured this would be a brain racker. I have been looking for a while for an answer. I am learning, so be patient.

Sorry to confuse everyone. Compuser is a friend of mine whome I am having help me. So If you have an answer let me know.

-butchrecon I am learning, so be patient.

Well, a solution can only be proposed if you can ascertain the cause of it. If you can identify the cause of it, you get half the solution.

As ghost is purchased by Symantec, do go to Symantic site and try to get ghost update to 6.51 or higher.

You may also try Partition Magic (not freeware, but with time limited free demo).

regards - tsuji

Tsuji

Thanks for the help. We will download an update tonight and try that. I have tried partition magic 4 with no luck. Since it is in the improper cluster sizing I thought a solution might be found in fixing the cluster size. Any thoughts on that? The only way I could fix that in the past is to reformat and reinstall. That is not an option. There has to be a way of fixing cluster sizes without reformatting. Will let you know in the morning if there is something on symantecs site.

Thanks

Nite.

-butchrecon I am learning, so be patient.

I think I better understand the problem you are having.

What is the size of the hard drive the ghosted image was taken from? Whatever the size may be, you want to ensure that the partition on the drive that's going to be receiving the image needs to be the same size.

For example, let's suppose you made the ghost image on a FAT32 4.3 GB hard drive with no partitions. Let's say you are trying to copy the image to a FAT32 20GB hard drive with no partitions. This isn't going to work. First of all, you need to make sure both allocation tables are the same (FAT32=FAT32). Secondly, you want to ensure the cluster size is going to be the same by using the right sized partition. In our example, you'll have to create a partition on the 20GB hard drive that's less than 8GB and is using FAT32.

Hopefully this helps...

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back